Need advice on connecting devices!

autonickv

I just upgraded my system and have realized that there are several ways I could hook up my equipment, but I would like to hear all of my options before I get any further on my system. I'm recording to hardisk using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.

I have a Mackie 1202
Aardvark LX6 with 4 in 6 out breakout box
MK-4902 Midi Keyboard
Roland Sound Canvas module

My questions are:

Should I go into my mixer then out to the
breakout box?
If so, through the channel outs or through the main outs

Or should I go into the Break out box then to the mixer just for monitering? (my Break out box also has a headphone plug for monitering)

When should I convert my midi to audio in the whole process? At that point I would have to go out from my mixer into the break out box right?

I wouldn't go through the mixer unless you really need to (for example it you need the preamps; want to record more than 4 things at once and need to submix; want to apply some effects prior to recording) - the less your signal runs through 'stuff' (eg. mixer), the 'purer' or maybe 'quieter' it will be....

You left out a rather important bit of information - what do you typically record? Like Pratt said, if you typically record "live" with a band (and mics) then yes you want to go through your mixer. If recording a live drum kit you would want 2 sub outs going to the box (to submix your drum kit) plus 2 direct outs (for vocals / instruments). You would probably also want at least 2 outs from your card coming back to the mixer for monitoring. Unfortunately Mackie mixers don't have tape returns; you will have to decide if you can spare 6 mixer channels to monitor all of your LX6 channels.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that makes sense! That is actually the way I was going but I just wanted some input from others to see if there was something I was missing.

Thanks,
Nick

Back