Need advice: looking for apartments to build a mix room

dco

Hi -

I am currently looking for an apartment, and want to set up a decent mix room.

I am wondering what you guys would look for in a space.

I have 6 panels of 2" OC-703 and Genelec 8030a's.

I'm looking for a studio apt. or a 1 bedroom. I don't have very much furniture. Would it be better sound absorption to get a studio apartment, since my bed would probably be in a corner in the same room etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just remember, you asked for it...

My advice would be to forget the whole idea of a mix room in an apartment. Anywhere you want to live/have nice equipment will be VERY unforgiving about the associated sound, and you will never get a room sufficiently sound-proofed to make management/neighors happy, and any place that no one cares will lead to you coming home to an empty apartment one day.

But, hey, what do I know? I only have several years of doing business with literally HUNDREDS (maybe thousands) of apartment managers and owners...

Why the all or nothing answer though?

There are many variables involved:
-garden level?
-corner unit?
-good construction?

I don't feel like a mix room w/ speakers that hit 58hz should be so prone to complaints. I also don't feel that mixing always has to be that loud either.

I mixed and tracked vocals constantly last year in a condo (converted apartments) with no complaints. A corner unit with solid core doors.

Anyways.. just my cents..

Not square. High ceilings. Hardwood or tile floors.

You don't have to be loud and if you wanna be you just have to know when you can be.

lou

I am wondering what you guys would look for in a space.
Neighbours that are young/appreciative of music/ /musicians or ex musicians/hard of hearing.

I've been highly fortunate over the last 18 years to have had such neighbours in the various places I've lived. Good manners and willingness to help and be neighbourly helps too, even with the tough guys. :D
Perhaps it's ignorance on my part but I'm of the opinion that one can mix in any space. Often when friends move to a new place or when I'm delivering stuff to various offices and suchlike, I imagine they're mine and I have the opportunity to build my own tracking and mixing space. It's great fun and takes my mind off the 16 boxes of A4 that I'm lugging around. Of course every space is different but few are insurmountable, unless they're in the Twilight zone......

Just remember, you asked for it...

My advice would be to forget the whole idea of a mix room in an apartment. Anywhere you want to live/have nice equipment will be VERY unforgiving about the associated sound, and you will never get a room sufficiently sound-proofed to make management/neighors happy, and any place that no one cares will lead to you coming home to an empty apartment one day.

[B]But, hey, what do I know? I only have several years of doing business with literally HUNDREDS (maybe thousands) of apartment managers and owners...[/B]

!00 % agreement with this! ;)

You've moved that many times Stevie? :D

:cool:

Back