Need a small tube amp. Should I get a Blackstar HT-1 for my studio?

jrdalton

The Blackstar HT-1 is a 1 watt tube amp that seems to have pretty good tones. I'm looking for someting small (small studio), not really loud when overdriving (studio in house) that I would mic with either an SM-57 or a condenser mic.

Has anyone used tried this amp? Is it as good as it sounds in the demo videos.

Blackstars are OK. A Bugera V5 or a Vox AC4 with an OCD or a Green Rhino would sound nice also.
The only other one I can think of to try is a Blackheart Killer Ant, which would need a cab.

I almost bought that amp the HT-1 two weeks ago - was also looking at the HT-5, Fender Superchamp and Vibrochamp. Instead I got the Blackstar Ht-Dual pedal and use it though a little Fender Frontman 25 solid state amp. The HT-Dual has the same tube circuit as the Ht-1 and it has the best tube tone I heard anywhere - I think I preferred the Speaker tone on the Fender though. It was a tough call though, almost got the HT-1 (pedal was only $240 new though)

the Fender SCXD is a really enticing "small tube amp"....with effects.

$299 asking price at GC.

Fender® Products

I have a SCXD, it's gotten more playing time than any other amp I own, for the last year or more. I feel that experience with the amp- enough time to get over the NAD effect, etc. gives me a balanced perspective on the amp. Much of this I have probably posted elsewhere, but I will try to put my feelings about the amp here, within a 1-5 watt amp perspective.

First, of course, it's not "small" by that measure, with 15 watts. That would provide approximately 4 times the volume of a 1 watt amp, if I am using the correct formula. I can tell you, to get tube overdrive from that amp, without an attenuator, you gotta get it darn loud- and this amp can get darn loud. If you want easy power tube OD at low volumes, this might not be the place to look for it.

For pre-amp distortion, remember it is digital, which some folks don't care for, but I think it's darn good for all but critical application. By that, I mean that if you are truly picky about getting a particular sound, you won't be quite there with the SCXD, unless of course the sound you want IS a SCXD. But, not to belabor the point, it can come very close. I once parked a vintage all-tube Champ right next to my SCXD, and was able to get the two to sound very close to the same. I don't think anyone could have identified which was the all-tube amp in a blind test.

The effects in the amp are quite good, and for most uses, you have enough control over the parameters, but that control is limited on "time" effects. Tremolo, delay and reverb, chorus and vibrotone all have only 2 or 3 settings for rate- not the infinitely variable knob we are accustom to, and a I.V. control for intensity or similar. If you want to match the tremolo speed to the tempo of the song, you may find yourself matching the tempo of the song to the tremolo speed, for instance. Also, you can not combine some effects with some others. For instance, you must choose either tremolo or reverb, but can't get both.

The amp model knob is darn nice to have. 16 different settings (some are very close to each other, so you might view it has "only" 6 or so) give you tones pretty close to Fender Champ, Fender Deluxe, Vox, Marshall, maybe others. I don't use the last two very often- Jazz Chorus and Acoustosonic- but when I need 'em, it's great to have them there. The acoustosonic does a good job of making the quacky piezo pickup in my acoustic guitar sound decent, saving me the cost of buying an expensive acoustic guitar pre-amp. Now that I remember that, I am reconsidering selling this amp...

A common mod is to put an Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker in place of the factory 10 incher, for better bass, which I did- but frankly, I don't think it's a cost-effective mod.

In summation, it's a good amp, and one I would recommend- but I don't think it will meet the OP's- or anyone else's- very-small-amp expectations.

...I also noticed the peavey valveking royal 8 on youtube, and despite it being youtube, i was really impressed with the sound!

So, now we have THREE types of amps? Solid state, tube, and youtube?:D

You really should just go to a store that has a lot of amps and compare the Fender SC (And Vibro Champ which is the 1 watt version of the Super Champ XD) against the Blackstar.
I spent 3 hours in the guitar room testing different amps and pedals before I left with the HT-dual. (And I went in shopping a small tube amp just like you are considering)

It's really a matter of what you like and the only way to find out is to go and spend some time playing on your options. All of the amps listed here are good amps, you just need to find the one you prefer. Besides I can think of a much worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon... :)

I have heard awesome things about those little blackstar HT-1's I'd say do it. But that would just be going on here-say.

They are sick man - you should play on if you get a chance. The tone is just totally thick and dense - like the cave!

Oh, arca, I was not dissing your recommendation- the SCXD is a darn good, very versatile and useful amp- I was only saying that is is not in the "ultra-low power" class the OP seems to be shopping for.

Oh, arca, I was not dissing your recommendation- the SCXD is a darn good, very versatile and useful amp- I was only saying that is is not in the "ultra-low power" class the OP seems to be shopping for.

I didn't recommend that amp Stevie ;)

Hi jrdalton,

Good idea to get a lo-watt amp for the studio, but take all advice with a grain of salt...

You have musical influences, and sounds you want to chase, so let that be your guide... or let blog recommendations rule your world... in the end it will be your decision whatever way you go. The sound you are really after might come with a cheap DI box and some free software for all I know.

You seem to like the Blackstar HT-1... but having done a quick Google and read of the blurb for the amp I’m not quite convinced it is a genuine tube amp. It might be, but I can’t be bothered investigating beyond the blurb. You have to be aware that there are many solid state circuits that simply bung in a tube as a selling point.

The need for a low watt studio amp is that it will provide you with the best saturated (and compressed) guitar tone with the least amount of effort, and cost... and signal noise.

Another source for both "the tone" and small tube amps might be old, "radio tube" amps. They got NO headroom, distort wildly when the volume is only turned about half way up, and usually sound like crap- but if you want low-vol. distortion, they certainly deliver, and maybe with the right compression/etc. you might get a good recorded sound. I can't bring myself to sell the one I have...

You seem to like the Blackstar HT-1... but having done a quick Google and read of the blurb for the amp I’m not quite convinced it is a genuine tube amp. It might be, but I can’t be bothered investigating beyond the blurb. You have to be aware that there are many solid state circuits that simply bung in a tube as a selling point.

The need for a low watt studio amp is that it will provide you with the best saturated (and compressed) guitar tone with the least amount of effort, and cost... and signal noise.

I don't know what amount of SS is involved in the Blackstar stuff, but it definitly has some smoking tubes in it. A bunch of guys left Marshall and started Blackstar. But it really doesn't matter what is inside the amp - it's all about the output :) so I always go with the ear test

i'm using an ht-5 right now and i love it. i don't play with the isf very much. if i were to complain about anything is i'd like there to be more mid control, and of course more gain, but an overdrive pedal fixes that no problem. I use mine with a shure sm-27 and i'm pretty happy with my setup.

Back