Need a quick fix for tape issue

troutmask

Hi everyone,

I bought three reels of RMGI 911 about a year and a half ago. I intermittently used one of the reels from April to October of last year without any issues. I went to crack open a new reel today in order to transfer guide tracks for a session tomorrow, and...the damn reel started squeaking about a minute into the tape. By about the middle of the tape, I noticed a thin stripe along the backside of the tape, as if the binder was sticking (which stopped after a couple of minutes). I checked my heads after running the tape, and while they seemed to be dirtier than normal, there didn't seem to be a massive amount of oxide build-up or anything.

Is this tape suffering from Sticky Shed, and if so, are there any temporary fixes I can implement to get me through the session (I don't think I'll have time to bake the tape, since the session is tomorrow and everything I've read says to let tapes sit for a day after baking), with the hope that I can get some more tape on order and transfer the work to a new tape?

Thanks

While you want the tape to come back to room temp after baking, I haven't heard of any hard and fast rule that, that takes 24 hours to accomplish.

Bake today and let it cool overnight and that should be good enough.

Cheers! :)

Well, probably not the same issue but the RMGI SM911 tape that I purchased in 2010/2011 seems to shed/oxide buildup excessively. I've had three RMGI tapes from that time frame, two out of three shed or left a lot of build up. RMGI replaced one tape and that was been working very well so far. One of them is a MRL cal tape that will be replaced soon also.

I don't think this is sticky shed, but I have not had much luck with RMGI tape.

I've been using Scotch 206/207, some BASF, and Maxell.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try baking the tape when I get home tonight (I can probably let it sit for around 8 hours...hopefully that will be enough time)...but in the event that it doesn't work, has anybody ever seen this before?
Soft Binder Syndrome - AV Artifact Atlas
The idea of using isopropyl alcohol shouldbe pretty easy to implement, I'd imagine, but has anybody tried it?

Baking won't help RMGI since its not a sticky shed issue, but it probably won't hurt either. They had a few bad runs when operations were in Holland. Hopefully things will do better in France. The best thing to do with misbehaving RMGI is to exchange it for a good tape. As of now I still recommend new-old-stock BASF/EMTEC over RMGI.

The correct terms are still Sticky-Shed Syndrome and Loss of Lubricant, which are two different things, so should not be grouped under one new term. As always, take what you read on wiki with a bag of salt. There's so much wrong information in the wiki entry for Stcky-Shed its not funny. It makes it that much harder to get the correct info out there.

Back