Need a good solution for switching between two sources on one pair of monitors

Myr

I'm getting a second DAW computer with a Digi 003r+ and I want to use it with my A7's, like I'm doing right now with my Cubase setup. Is there any way to do this without damaging the signal or sound quality?

I want a simple configuration like this: Interface 1 & 2 > Switching Unit > Monitors

Go to Mackies web site and look at the BigKnob unit. It has several inputs and 3 monitor outputs. So it will do what you want and it will give you the option of adding 2 more pairs of monitors. Plus it has a phono preamp !!!!

True, but I was kinda lookng for something simpler and a little cheaper.

I found a cheap Samson unit, but people say it colours the sound pretty drastically.

I'm getting a second DAW computer with a Digi 003r+ and I want to use it with my A7's, like I'm doing right now with my Cubase setup. Is there any way to do this without damaging the signal or sound quality?

I want a simple configuration like this: Interface 1 & 2 > Switching Unit > Monitors

You mean audio monitors?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062530&CAWELAID=107597884

or for a balanced signal:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/STS-71/4PDT-ON-OFF-ON-TOGGLE-SWITCH/-/1.html

Mount it in a metal case from Radio Shack, mount six jacks, add the appropriate wires. Total cost: about $5-10. $20 if you don't already own a soldering pencil or solder.... :D You might have to use a separate switch for left and right if you buy everything from Radio Shack. Either way, dirt simple is something of an understatement.

BTW, if somebody claims that a mechanical switch colors the sound, you should probably add him/her permanently to your "ignore" list as a complete bozo.... :D Or is this Samson device a soft switch of some sort?

BTW, if somebody claims that a mechanical switch colors the sound, you should probably add him/her permanently to your "ignore" list as a complete bozo.... :D Or is this Samson device a soft switch of some sort?
Might have some buffering circuitry to it. Buffers will color the sound even when implemented well.

Might have some buffering circuitry to it. Buffers will color the sound even when implemented well.

Yes, but why would you add any sort of gain stage in something designed as a switch? A DA (distribution amp), sure, but a switch? :)

Yes, but why would you add any sort of gain stage in something designed as a switch? A DA (distribution amp), sure, but a switch? :)
Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean somebody didn't do it.

I'm just saying it's a possibility if they're talking degredation of signal.

Otherwise, with bottom of the barrel quality switches and really crappy wire, I can see sound quality drop.

Back