Need a digital recorder

topgun1182

Please help a newbie out

Hi all, this is my first post. I was thinking about purchasing a digital recorder. At first I wanted to get the the boss br-8 but I decided otherwise because of the limitations with the zips and also the inputs. I want something that I can use to record a group or maybe just myself with a friend or two. I would like a Roland Digital like the 880 but I would like to explore other options. I own a Fender Passport Portable Audio System with mics and stands and also a pair of Bose Direct Reflecting speakers. What would I need for a system and what would be the best digital recorder to buy? Thanks.

Top-Gun

Last edited:
it depends on your budget. i would recommend buying a soundcard that you could use with your PC rather than buying a standalone unit. I was in a similar predicament as you awhile back. Maybe think about the Aardvark Q10...www.aardvark-pro.com
It's got 8 inputs and is a very professional box with preamps, phantom power, mixer...everything you need. It comes with software. It's about $700.00. Standalone units like the boss, roland, fostex are basically little computers. You obviously already have one. Why would you waste money and go buy another? What kind of computer do you have by the way? Anyway, I hope i've been some help in naming another available option to you.
-Tom

First of all, thanks for the info. My computer is a Celeron 500Mhz with 64 meg of ram and 10 Gig HD. Obviously from what I have been reading about soundcards that would be sufficent. I always wanted a standalone, but are soundscards really worth the money? I am assuming that I could record and then if I had a CD burner just copy it to a CD. I will check out the aardvark, and any other information or tips you could give about buying a could would help. Anything for maybe around $300-400 that's really worth it? Also do you know if I could put a soundcard like that into a HP Pavilion, they're not the most upgradeable computers in the world.

Thanks,

Top-Gun

you shouldnt have a problem getting a card in the pavillion....a good card will have a PCI card with a breakout box.....there are some known compatablity issues with the Pavillions, Digi001's being one of them...you may need a tad more ram and a faster hard drive....

If portability will be an issue, standalone is the way to go....

If you have loads of patience, go the computer route....

m-audio audiophile

for 170 us you can have the audiophile

only two inputs but a 24/96 class card and a good one for the money. does anyone have anything bad to say about this card it seems ok . i think it requres 128 mb of ram.

ill probubly purchase one soon myself for burning cds from my hard disk. which is a korg d8 i bought one on a blowout sale for 275us.

The Audiophile is awesome if you only need a stereo input, but I think he wants to record a band...a Delta 1010 might do....

you need 128mb min if you want to use 24bit/96khz.....otherwise it needs 64mb minimum....

What about looking for a card on ebay? Is that a good place (availability/quality) to purchase one? Also if I were to go for a standalone is that also the best place to look? What would you guys recommend as far as standalones?

i know what you mean about being hard to upgrade. before building my own computer(which is actually pretty simple) I had a compaq. when i had to change the cd-rom and add more ram it was like hell.

as long as you have a free pci slot and are willing to use your computer as a digital recorder, find out how much RAM you can upgrade to and exactly what kind. That is usually one of the more important factors. 64 will be enought to start with...but you'll probably want to expand in the future. I had 128 for awhile...and when I made the switch to 256 I hardly noticed any difference.
You talked about the limitations of the boss-b8....well with the computer you have countless options...programs and effects you can use that will save you a bundle on hardware that you just don't need. and you can burn everything right to a cd.

in summation, you have a nice computer. its a good start. if youre interested in taking this route research the different kinds of soundcards. usually you wind up listening to yourself at some point along the way...b/c you have different needs than someone else does.

but you mentioned the boss b-8 and the roland 880. now those are around the price of the aardvark q10...$700 and it has 8 inputs. i have the aardvark direct pro 24/96 which i paid $469 for...and it has four inputs. i think its great. but if they had the q10 out when i bought the direct pro i would have gotten the q10.

ebay is a good place to get stuff. i sold my old 4-track and a few guitars on there. i havent seen too many aardvark soundcards on there at all. btw, i cant say much about the standalone units. i've never owned a digital one...only an analog one. the only thing nice about them is portability. hope this was helpful.
-Tom

Thanks lonestar and everyone else for the tips. If anyone else has an opinion feel free to input, i will keep checking back. But for now I am going to go read up on all these good ideas.............

I have both a DAW (Cubase/pIII-800MHz/5126Mb) and a standalone HDR (Fostex D1624 16-track). I find that I do most of my tracking on the standalone. I can then fly the recorded tracks to the DAW and play around with them, or (more often) sync the HDR to the DAW with timecode and use the DAW primarily as a MIDI engine while the real audio work happens on the HDR.

I'm glad that I have the DAW, because there are some editing and production chores that it is *much* better able to handle than the (minimal) built-in editing capabilities of the HDR. There are definite exposures when doing computer recording, though: foremost among them is the fact that it takes a great deal of time, and more patience than I can spare at the moment, to get the recording hardware and software to actually work reliably.

After 6 months and many hours of research into optimal DAW setup, upgrading drivers, and general screwing around with the box, I still experience occasional dropouts when recording to Cubase. The software will abruptly stop recording in mid-take. Happens about 10-15% of the time, always at a different, random point in the track. It's a right pisser when it happens, too. My solution is simple: if I'm trying to track to the computer I'll also have the HDR printing the same material as a failsafe backup (since I'm using its converters, anyway). But if I didn't have that backup plan in hand, I'd be a *very* frustrated camper, and I'd have missed some important stuff.

Lots of people here do very well with computer-based recording. Others, like me, prefer the standalone approach for whatever reasons, and are willing to accept the cost. I work with computers all day, every day... When I want to do music, I want to *do music*, not screw around with the computer some more! Your mileage will certainly vary, because there is no right answer. Your music, your style, your pocketbook, and your personality will dictate what hardware you should use. The most important thing is to _try several examples_, if possible, so that you can see where the warts are. Don't buy blind.

On the Audiophile 24/96: I have one for my DAW monitoring setup, and I'm getting ready to replace it with an external converter box. The card does work very well, and the converters are pretty good. But I find that I'm easily annoyed by certain things, and one of them is noise that has a pitched character. In my system, the Audiophile's noise floor consists of various pitched whines and wheezes that vary with the SCSI bus activity, the video image on the monitor, and so on. This is way down there, but I highly doubt that it is -103dBFS as spec'd. -80, *maybe*, but certainly not -100! They must have spec'd that card with the host computer halted.

Anyway, after 6 months or so I find the EMI-driven noise floor to be increasingly annoying, so I'm upgrading to some converters that don't live inside the computer's box. If you do dense mixes, you'd probably never notice this. But I work with a lot of sparse mixes of acoustic music, trying to get the reverb tails and the decays right, and the digital wheezes in the whitespace are starting to drive me _nuts_: it sounds like someone is standing behind me with an electric toothbrush while I'm trying to work. Probably nobody else would notice, but it has started to irritate me.

Once again, that's just me. Don't let that scare you off from the card. It offers great bang for the buck, and a lot of people love it, and rightly so. It undoubtedly works fine for them. The bottom line just has to be: *whatever* you're thinking about laying out cash for, find a way to lay hands on and give it a critical listen first, if you can. One thing is certainly true- this stuff ain't cheap!

Back