Need a cheap mixer for live gigs

THink for budget mixers, Yamahas or mackie or Alesis would normally be reccomdned above the Behringer, but youare really talking about a small degree of quality difference here, they all will do the job, but not with anythign that adds to your sounds significantly.

Daav

I never had a problem with an MX mixer but EVERY UB mixer I've used over the past two years (UB802, UB1832FX, UB2442FX) has developed a problem and had to be sent out for repair. None of the problems were fatal to a gig*, but the 1832 and 2442 were in an SKB pop-up rack case and they were not abused on the job, storage, or transit. My Mackie had to go in the shop twice but over a longer period of time. My Allen-Heath is a freakin' tank.

The Mackie will hold up better but the "larger" Behri mixers performed just as well with regards to sound, flexibility and routing (where the 2442 outperforms almost everything under a $grand). When using the insert sends for recording, I just can't tell the difference between the Mackie and the Behri preamps (you can tell the difference between the main and the aux sends but most of the differences can be minimized by the EQ). The Mackie is more road-worthy, by leaps and bounds. The Yamaha MG mixers are competively priced with the Behri mixers and more reliable, in my opinion.

Good luck,
Paj
8^)

* UB802 = phantom power would not shut off (after 14 months); UB1832FX = Effect processor died (after 10 months); 2442FX = pad on channel 1 stopped working; two other pads sometimes act up (after 18 months).

Back