need a bit of help (opinions) on which of my mics I should use.

tojo

Hey guys, I was just looking for a little bit of help for recording acoustic guitar (which I do most of the time. Ever since I got a two new mics, I've been recording in stereo (feeling like it's the best thing to do). I have a problem though (apart from always feeling like i should track an acoustic in stereo):

First off I'll list me mics.

- Two behringer c-2s...
- one Audio Technica At-2020

here's the problem though. I'd like to record in stereo... So the stereo pair of behringer c-2s would be great.... BUT they are pretty noisy... which I don't want. Apparently there is a mod to fix this but i'm not going to bother trying.
I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to record acoustic guitar. Here's the thing, i'm going to be getting an sm 57 pretty soon I think so should I:

-use the c-2s... despite the noise floor
-use the at2020 with a c-2
-wait to get a 57 and use it was the at 2020?
-get another at 2020?
-look for better sdcs?

I'm just looking for some opinion, or other mic suggestions that I could take into consideration. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I doubt you'd like the SM57 on acoustic. I'd probably suggest either another 2020 or a pair of Naiant omnis for that.

Hey guys, I was just looking for a little bit of help for recording acoustic guitar (which I do most of the time. Ever since I got a two new mics, I've been recording in stereo (feeling like it's the best thing to do). I have a problem though (apart from always feeling like i should track an acoustic in stereo):

First off I'll list me mics.

- Two behringer c-2s...
- one Audio Technica At-2020

here's the problem though. I'd like to record in stereo... So the stereo pair of behringer c-2s would be great.... BUT they are pretty noisy... which I don't want. Apparently there is a mod to fix this but i'm not going to bother trying.
I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to record acoustic guitar. Here's the thing, i'm going to be getting an sm 57 pretty soon I think so should I:

-use the c-2s... despite the noise floor
-use the at2020 with a c-2
-wait to get a 57 and use it was the at 2020?
-get another at 2020?
-look for better sdcs?

I'm just looking for some opinion, or other mic suggestions that I could take into consideration. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Return the c-2's and get your money back. They are not usable for recording or anything else for that matter. Get yourself a couple Rhode NT5's and never look back.

57s a bad mic for that kinda thing. at least from what ive heard and tried. id say get another sdc mic that matches the good one you already have. or just spend some cash and a new pair of something diff' that you like. ive heard 603s on guitars and i liked them.

hm... thanks for the reply guys. I can't take back the c-2s because I bought them off a friend. I think they sound good. THe rode nt5s look pretty sweet.

I don't think i'd get a naint mic(s) everyone always talks about them and are really promoting them... but i'm looking for something mainstream. Rode's are expensive for me right now.. maybe i'll look into another at 2020 (maybe two ldc's would sound really good) anyways... i'll keep my eyes open for a better sdc....

i'd like to start a poll to see how many people have naiant mics.

I don't think i'd get a naint mic(s) everyone always talks about them and are really promoting them... but i'm looking for something mainstream. Rode's are expensive for me right now.. maybe i'll look into another at 2020 (maybe two ldc's would sound really good) anyways... i'll keep my eyes open for a better sdc....

i'd like to start a poll to see how many people have naiant mics.

They're pretty popular around here, probably in part because the designer, Jon, is a regular here, posting as "MsHilarious".

IMHO, they're excellent mics for the price. Also, omni mic are particularly good for recording acoustic guitar because you can place them really close to the guitar without them getting boomy (omnis exhibit negligible proximity effect).

I can't take back the c-2s because I bought them off a friend. I think they sound good. I don't think i'd get a naint mic(s) everyone always talks about them and are really promoting them... but i'm looking for something mainstream.
Ouch. The c-2's would sound good but you'll never get a good recording from them because of the built in ground hum. Don't waste your time with them.

If cash is strapping you then a pair of the naint mics with a LDC for your vocals(like a MXL V63) would do you well.

The MXL603's (same as the 991's) are good bang/buck but fairly bright.

If you have more money to spend I'd look at Shure SM81's which are more neutral than the 603's and also have 2 low cuts and pad should you record loud sources with them.

Or - put the 2020 at the neck and a different mic behind the bridge. I prefer that method to XY most of the time.

Back