Need a 2nd opinion on the Audiophile USB

riotshield

Hi,

I bought the M-Audio Audiophile USB for a good price last week ($175 shipped) and was planning on using it for both my laptop and desktop. But then I found a good deal on an open-box Audiophile 2496 PCI ($110 shipped) so now I have both sitting in my apartment, still unopened. I'm deciding which one I should keep. I had a hard time with a prior USB interface (Edirol UA-20 - frequent dropouts recording on my laptop) so I didn't consider the USB Audiophile until I decided it was the only portable interface with everything I need (2 24-bit analog inputs, coaxial S/PDIF in/out, and MIDI). I've used the PCI version before and it worked great, the only problem is that then I'm confined to my bedroom with bad acoustics and computer fan noise.

If anyone owns the USB Audiophile I appreciate your input about driver & sound quality, and if there are any issues (in XP). There aren't any real reviews out on this product, and if I open the shrink-wrap then I can't return it for a full refund. So I'm relying on others' input. Thanks in advance :)

I haven't heard any complaints on this board about the USB model. But you will be limited as you say with the PCI card cause you cant put it in a laptop. I've used the 2496 PCI and had no problems. I think you will be satisfied with the USB.

keep the pci

I have the USB Audiophile. It has good sound, but it won't do midi on my PC. I've contacted M-audio, downloaded latest drivers, and re-installed the SW several times. Yet I still can't get midi. Do your self some justice an go with the PCI card. It is a proven piece.

I was not aware they had a USB model. Hopefullly its USB 2.0 I'm pretty happy with my PCI card.

I would love it if they made it USB 2.0 (just got a USB 2.0 PC Card for my laptop). Unfortunately it's 1.1 and limited to 24/48 recording (and not full duplex). I asked M-Audio sales about whether they planned on releasing a USB 2.0 Audiophile, but they said the only high-bandwidth external interface they have planned for the near future is the Firewire 410. Looks good but it costs around $450 :(

I think I'll probably return the USB version if I can figure out a way to quiet the case fans in my computer. Thanks for the replies :)

Back