need 4 inputs, could i rig it up like this?

Veej007

hello

i will need to record drums using 4 mics, and since i'm trying to keep this as a low budget operation, i'm hoping that i can rig it up with an $80 mixer that has four mic preamps, instead of having to go out and buy more stand-alone preamps at $60 a pop. so anyway, here's the plan.

behringer vx802 (4 mic pres, two stereo busses)

mic 1 ==> stereo buss 1 ==> pan right ==> input 1
mic 2 ==> stereo buss 1 ==> pan left ==> input 2
mic 3 ==> stereo buss 2 ==> pan right ==> input 3
mic 4 ==> stereo buss 2 ==> pan left ==> input 4

can i use both busses and separate the signals from the mics by panning them? i'm a beginner, so someone please correct me if i'm making a stupid mistake here.

I dont see why not.
You might wanna be more specific though. Do you want to record the tracks seperatly? Or all at once but just panned in the stereo Stage.....Then what are you recording with, etc.....
Myx

i want to record them at once but have them enter the computer separately so that i can adjust them individually

that is, i want to have bass, toms, overhead, and snare on separate tracks so that i can manipulate their levels in the software

You would need a high end Soundcard and The right software. Ive been trying to figure out the best way to do that myself and have come to the conclusion that It's cheaper to go to a small recording studio and do the drum tracks there. way cheaper.
However until I find a decent drummer, I have to be live with my Drum Machine-lol
Myx

Back