Nearfields upright or on sides and why?

I think (notice I said "think") from memory that Tannoy's "Dual Concentric" range are able to be laid on their side, as they don't have this woofer and tweeter separation issue.

:cool:

No offense to NS10 lovers...

...but the tweeters are gunna rip your head off anyway... ;)

I also read in the Mixing Engineers Handbook that MANY top engineers prefer the horizontal position for monitoring...

Quote...

"Most mixers prefer that the tweeters of a 2 or 3 way system be mounted on the outside, thereby widening the stereo field. Occassionally, tweeters to the inside works, but this usually results in smearing of the stereo image. Experiment with both, however, because you never know."

Either way...you must de-couple them to avoid the comb filter effect.

Ahhhhhh....the dangers of reading.... LOL

Maybe the manufacturers picture - mount the logos on vertical speakers because that's the way stereo speakers are pictured and that's what the public is used to seeing.

Donno...

Ive seen studios with them both ways...ns-10s on the sides and krks vertical, in the same studio....I think I will angle mine on one side, then vertical on the other!

Peace,
Dennis

If you are putting the speaker horizontally, because the tweeter is to high, you would be better off lowering the speaker, and keeping it vertical.

Tannoy has the right idea with dual concentric, this is the ideal single point source speaker that I have been trying to convince you egg heads is the way to go. These speakers are very expensive, for that reason. Kef used to use this design, don't know if they still do. This is an inherently better design. With this type of speaker you can put it on it's side, or even upside down, it won't matter.

Luckily this design can be had in just about any good cheap stereo at Target, Kmart etc. You just have to find one that sounds right.

Bottom line: full range speakers are inherently better than two way speakers, so why bother with two way speakers. This is what the speaker manufacturers don't want you to know.

The truth will set you free. Go forth and spread the word!!

GT

"If you are putting the speaker horizontally, because the tweeter is to high, you would be better off lowering the speaker, and keeping it vertical. "

Well GT...sounds like you know more than other professionals in the field....

And you must know more than Event which claims a horizontal improvement in the 20/20's and no difference in the PS series...

So where is the data to back up your claim? Not trying to be a dick but if PROS argue over it - and manufacturers make their claims I will need DATA to just agree with you.

SHOW ME. :)

I'll wait.

peace man! zip >>

I understand if laying them down tweeter out makes a wider sterio field, But why not just move them wider apart for this and leave them uppright. Having said that my ns10's are on there side.

I understand if laying them down tweeter out makes a wider sterio field, But why not just move them wider apart for this and leave them uppright. Having said that my ns10's are on there side.

Zip,

The PROS, don't allways hold all the cards.

As far as knowing more than other professionals in this field, you may actually be right. I have had a love hate fasination with speakers since I was a kid.

As far as knowing more than Event, in this one area, I would also have to say that's true. They may not know where of they speak.

Don't assume speaker manufacturers,know everything. Have you heard two pairs of speakers that sound alike? And yet they all claim to be so accurate. I rest my case.

As far as data, I don't need no stinking data, my ears have taught me well.

You may want to stop capitalizing "PROS" some don't deserve it.

Actually trying to help,

GT

I know you are GT and you just may be right. I capitalized pros in this instance because I'm talking about some of the big boys...

Ballard etc...

So sorry if I was being a prick as it wasn't intended. What we all need to keep in mind is music and mixing and mastering are ARTS. Whatever works for you and sounds good...is good. :)

Now if I can only cut off Massenburgs ears and..... :D

peace man

zip >>

In the absence of a truly concentric multi-driver setup- all that horizontal vs. vertical argument seems like noise. If they're not concentric, they're gonna have that out of phase jive I've seen drawn up to explain why separate drivers are no peenchy bueno.
What difference does it make that the plane of out of phase-ness is vertical as opposed to horizontal? They're still out of phase.
I still hear the detail and get a better handle on the panning decisions because that aspect is artificially enhanced by horizontal monitor placement.

I used to work in a Stereo shop, way back when. The best speaker at that time was the Tannoy dual concentric. A monster sized cabanet, the driver was 15".

It made all the other speakers sound really bad. When no customers were around we used to call them firewood. My dream system back then was the giant Tannoys, driven by a McIntosh tube amp.

Ended up with Sherwood, and KLH's.

GT

BTW: Great debate!

My last "dream system" was an Advent receiver with just 30 W a side powering a pair of DCM Time Windows, circa 1979.

The imaging detail was frightening.

It could've used a few more watts to push those DCMs. My neighbors would disagree. :)

Hey...I'll jump in... :)

I still own a half of a "dream system". :)

I've got a pair of 4' Thiel studio monitors and a dbx 18" subwoofer...that's the half.

They are powered by an Onkyo Surround Amplifier...100 watts R&L and 50 watts center and rear...4 separate amps...:) Not the best all time receiver but it gets the JOB done.

Those Thiels are my pride and joy...bought them with the sub for 400 bucks. :):)

They give incredible detail and are a HUGE reason why I can get away with my little Events. I burn a quick disc and go to the Thiels to check definition and low end.

One day when the kids were at school I put on a Live Dream Theater CD and cranked it up...

...my neighbor asked me how I got all the equipment in the house for a live band. :D

zip >>

Here's the speaker, I was talking about, have a look!

Sorry, no direct link.

Go to: www.tannoy.com

Go to: professoinal

Go to: products

Go to: studio monitors

Go to: System 15 DMT

GT

Hey Downside,

Where did you find these speakers, and did you get to listen to them first.

In the old days these Tannoys were also one of the most effeciant speakers (loundness per watt), of any speeakers, is this still true? You could even drive them with a cheap amp.

How much did these pups set you back?

Single point source speakers should be more available, as they are the inherently better speaker. Don't take them for granted.

I also have single point source speakers, they were very cheap, but they are the most honest speakers I have ever had. They don't even have a crossover, and don't need EQ.

They are so good I use them in my studio. Talk about going against the ways, a really good, really cheap speeaker. These are the only speakers I've had that are keepers, and they were the cheapest, live and learn.

Going against the ways,

GT

When people talk about how its all in the ears, well there wrong.

Its all in the BRAIN

The ears are just a cone (ish) shaped piece of skin that funels sound into the

BRAIN

I know, I know, Its just a figure of speach !

So Bob Ludwig has a great set of brain.

GT,

I actually got them relatively cheap. I heard of closing studio and bought these babies unseen. When I got there to test them, I found out the orignal stand was included. (see attached photo)

I don't know about the cheap amp etc. I had an amp custom made for these speakers, which cost me a fortune. We've got them biwired, not bi-amped (That would really cost a fortune)

Attachments

• tannoy12.jpg
    tannoy12.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 25
Back