nasty sounds all around

k bucks

i realize that this question comes up a lot here, but can bad grounding (or no grounding) cause radio signals? i just moved into an older apartment building and set my stuff up to find that everything was picking up radio signals and a little buzz as well. so, i bought a power conditioner, but the buzz and signals still remain through one of the monitors (i've switched cords and positons) and my tube mic (with power supply) and now i even hear it through a sm57. anyway, my landlord folks said they'd send someone over to check out the situation, the grounding in particular since no one was sure what the hell was going one. i mean no one, i've called every music store in town as well as the engineers at a couple local radio stations to no avail. any other ideas? thanks.
kevin

sounds like a "house wiring" issue to me. it doesn't take much to get a bad ground. most people don't realize the wall circuits and switches by doors need to be tightened up, from all the banging and vibes they go loose.
common place for fires to start too when they start arcing.

i don't know your financial situation, but there are some higher-end units to really clean up power....you could at least try one and see if it works.

if you just bought one tho, you've probably already read all that stuff in the net.

clean power. uninterruptable, line conditioner, surge protector...skys the limit on price and quality.

just hooked the tube microphone up to the isolation transformer, but the radio signals are still blaring through. I also had the electrician here the other day and he told me that all the outlets should be grounded. so, does this mean the problem is with the cables and not the power?
-kevin

k bucks said:
just hooked the tube microphone up to the isolation transformer, but the radio signals are still blaring through. I also had the electrician here the other day and he told me that all the outlets should be grounded. so, does this mean the problem is with the cables and not the power?
-kevin

Not necessarily, now you know that you're dealing with Air Borne RF - and not dirty lines -

This could be a problem with the mic coil itself - some coil inside of the amp - cords....... ????? Can you still hear it through the 57?????

The only way to know for sure is to begin experimenting carefully - take one thing out of the chain and replace it - etc., etc...

Back