name this guitar tone...

I've been listening to John Mayer's second album for a while, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of guitar tone this is?

Is this coming from a hollow body? If so, it sounds like it has single coil pickups. How is he getting that sound?

I'm sure the compression also gives it that sound.

How would you describe that warm beefy guitar sound in the left channel?

Hopefully someone can tell me what this is, I really dig it.

Thanks

if i remember correctly john mayer uses fender strats, i dont know the pickups, and i dont remember the specific model but i believe he also used a fender amp

The talk on the street is that it sounds like a Strat in position 2, bridge and middle pickups active, through a fender vibro king, 10 guage strings, the low E is tuned ever so slightly sharp. His mom's middle name is Agnes and she has a fondness for kittens and bittersweet chocolate.
The man who tuned the guitar for him had ham and eggs for breakfast that day and a bad case of halitosis, he hadn't much sleep because the neighbor's dog kept him up all night.
The studio floor in the recording studio was made of 100 year old norwegian oak taken from a cabin Hitler once slept in. The man who installed the floor had failing vision in his left eye and walks with a limp from a childhood fishing accident.

Back