Naiant X-Q

KillerV

I'm very interested in getting a set of Naiant X-Q's. At the moment I'm using a pair of Samson C02's, which are giving me results that I'm pretty happy with. Can anyone tell me how the X-Q's compare with the C02's soundwise?

How noisy are the X-Q's? I see they're rated at 20dBA while the C02's are 22dBA. The only times I've had trouble with the C02's noise-wise were when I'm recording sources like quiet fingerpicked guitar.

The X-Qs are not noticeably noisy. I'm not familiar with the Samson mics.

If you order the X-Qs (and you should, because they're more than worth the price), try and also order the inexpensive shockmount clips he's selling -- I find myself using those with all sorts of mics, and they're very easy to work with. I'm going to get some more next time I order something.

I downloaded a number of clips from all over the web and I checked them in my studio against clips of my C02's. The only thing is, most of those clips were done with the MSH's, while I'm considering the X-Q's (I couldn't find quiet stuff done with the X-Q's). I know this isn't the best way to do this, but it was just to get an idea of the noise on the Naiants and it's the only way I can do it without actually ordering the mics. I matched the level of the guitars in the clips and compared the noise. The clips done with the MSH's are noticably more noisy than my C02-clips, but I also know that the noise on the MSH's are rated 22dBA where the X-Q's are only rated at 20dBA.

I was really kinda set on the Naiants, but I'm not sure anymore. Can anyone offer some advice?

Does anyone have a clip of something fairly quiet (fingerpicked acoustic guitar or something like that) that was recorded with the X-Q's? It can only be a short clip. I would appreciate it immeasurably.

Does anyone have a clip of something fairly quiet (fingerpicked acoustic guitar or something like that) that was recorded with the X-Q's? It can only be a short clip. I would appreciate it immeasurably.
There are clips on the naiant website by people who have bought the mics. Otherwise, the acoustic guitars on my business myspace were recorded with X-Qs, although they probably won't be the best for hearing the mics. They're not really quiet either.

Back