Nady Starpower 1

That's the $9.99 dynamic from Musician's Friend, right?

It's the best damn $9.99 mic out there.

In fact, it's the ONLY $9.99 mic out there.

I don't know your financial situation, so I won't comment on the wisdom of buying the cheapest mic you can find, but I have found that one thing holds true when you're talking about gear...You get what you pay for-I've used other cheap dynamics, and while they're OK for karaoke or DJ's, I'd never use one in my studio unless I had no other choice.

So, my opinion on the StarPower 1 is that it's about the cheapest mic you can buy...and probably sounds like it.

You would have done much better with the AT Pro 2AX, or a used Shure SM48 off of eBay, if your budget would have allowed you to spend $35-$50.

our band has several of those $9.99 nady starpower mics. We use them to mic speaker cabs and tom toms they do a pretty good job. I have only used them in a live music situation....never tried to record something with one.

haven't tried them on live vocals yet either, we use the $19.99 nady mics for that. :D

i use an sm58 on vocals m,yself and to tell the truth, on sound checks, i can't tell much of a difference from the $19.99 nadys.

Seems like every time I buy a mic stand from GC, they throw in a Nady mic for free.

I haven't used one for anything yet. I might try them for a giggle on something.

Carl

The Nady SP-1 mic is surprisingly good for $10. I've used one for vocals and guitar amps and it works. It isn't a SM57 or 58 at all, but it's a good value for the price.

I have a couple SP1's and SP9's i use them all the time live, they are good for micing toms, snare, cabs and vocals live for me though i use a 58. I occasionaly use them in the studio because i don't have many mics. I'll use them in the studio sometimes on, amps, snare, toms, room mics, and vocals (when it's all i had). They get pretty decent results for all those results but are best for stage.

"In fact, it's the ONLY $9.99 mic out there."

lol your wrong there check out radio shack.

Hmmm... well, what do you think it'll sound like for my demos, recorded on a 15 year old Vesta Fire 4-track, (which was graciously donated by a homerecording.com forum member)?

i don't know about the unit that your talking about, but if you have good placement it should be decent for what you have. its what i started on but then again i've only been going for about 8 months. You will probably need some eq with this mic so hopefully this recorder has some on it or you have a mixer.

I have one each of the SP-1 and the SP-9. I just got them as extras since they were so low cost. SP-1 sounds fine and the SP-9 sounds really good response wise BUT.... here's the catch which may or may not be an issue to you....
poor shock mounting internally. Even though the SP-9 sounds really good, if you use it on stage, every footstep rings out - boom, boom, boom. So, there's always a catch.

Cheers. :)

All the responses I've seen so far reference the Nady's in live settings. In a live setting, assuming they don't break, they're probably adequate.

I stand by my earlier comments when it comes to studio work.

Back