Nady RSM-4 ribbon mic on loud guitar cab

I just got my first ribbon mic, a Nady RSM-4, with the intention of sticking it in front of my loud distorted amp. I was thinking of testing it a couple inches off the grill or maybe even right on the grill to see how it captures things.

From the specs it should handle high SPLs but do I need a pop filter or something to avoid damage from sudden blasts of air from the speaker? Or should I just wing it since it cost me about $70?

I just got my first ribbon mic, a Nady RSM-4, with the intention of sticking it in front of my loud distorted amp. I was thinking of testing it a couple inches off the grill or maybe even right on the grill to see how it captures things.

From the specs it should handle high SPLs but do I need a pop filter or something to avoid damage from sudden blasts of air from the speaker? Or should I just wing it since it cost me about $70?

Place it a 45* angle to the sound source. This will help the ribbon handle the high spl

So far I am quite impressed with it. Stuck it in front of an amp at bedroom level and it sound very accurate and without that SM57 fizz. Once I get it in my little practice space and crank things who knows how it will act so a 45 degree angle sounds like a good idea to tame the treble down.

Your amp isn't going to provide any air blast that will damage that microphone.
And the SPL are high. I have two and they see guitar amps all of the time.
Just place it where you find the sweat spot and go for it.
I'd be more cautious with the plotions of your breath than your amp. Or whipping it around over your head on the end of the cable!:D

:cool:

So far I am quite impressed with it. Stuck it in front of an amp at bedroom level and it sound very accurate and without that SM57 fizz. Once I get it in my little practice space and crank things who knows how it will act so a 45 degree angle sounds like a good idea to tame the treble down.

Try both the 57 and the RMS together then mix to taste.

I'd be more cautious with the plotions of your breath than your amp. Or whipping it around over your head on the end of the cable!:D

Damn! That's the first thing I do with new mics. Make sure they're nice and balanced like a new set of car tires!

The SM57 and the Nady might be an interesting together but I was thinking of pairing it up with the KSM32 I got not to long ago. I think that will be my best bet to capture the sound of my amp most naturally and without any harsh McFizzle.

Damn! That's the first thing I do with new mics. Make sure they're nice and balanced like a new set of car tires!

The SM57 and the Nady might be an interesting together but I was thinking of pairing it up with the KSM32 I got not to long ago. I think that will be my best bet to capture the sound of my amp most naturally and without any harsh McFizzle.

Then try all three at the same time! It's always fun to go overboard.
Is your amp an open back amp?

Three might be pushing it! I'm still trying to master using one mic :D

I am using a 2x12 Avatar cab. It is one of semi-closed backs with a little oval opening in the back. Thinking I should stick a mic inside?

Three might be pushing it! I'm still trying to master using one mic :D

I am using a 2x12 Avatar cab. It is one of semi-closed backs with a little oval opening in the back. Thinking I should stick a mic inside?

Yeah but not all of the way, it might get pregnant! ;)

Did you perform the surgery?
You have to do it just right or you'll end up with little 57 all over the house and then you'll be forced to give them away like a litter of little puppies or kittens. :D

One stray SM57 is enough!

Any more and I would have a box at the end of my driveway with a sign: Cute SM57's for sale - $5 each

I have one of those metal pot screens and was thinking of using that just in case. I am using a M-Audio DMP3 as my preamp going into my Tascam Neo with the preamps on it turned all the way down.

I am sure those guys had noobs like myself in mind when they made their units. Otherwise something would have been up in smoke a long time ago!

I am sure those guys had noobs like myself in mind when they made their units. Otherwise something would have been up in smoke a long time ago!

HA maybe I'll have to check it out Richard Moore is the one who told me it's a big no-no and I'd have to believe him.

One stray SM57 is enough!

Any more and I would have a box at the end of my driveway with a sign: Cute SM57's for sale - $5 each

Hey, I'll take any SM57s you want to get rid of - they're not the best mic for everything, but positioned right on the right amp, well, they're a classic for a reason. :D

I have a RSM-4 - it sounds awesome for leads on my Rectoverb, but on my Roadster a SM57 about 30 degrees off axis seems to be producing a better lead sound. The roadster's way darker than the ROV, though, especially on the third (of four) channel.

Back