Nady RSM-2

Micter

No Title
I just snagged one for $145 and I have to say this is an impressive mic when considering the price. I got it home, made sure it wasn't DOA, opened it up and yanked the extra wire mesh out. Did some scratch vox and it actually sounded decent.(not incredible but not horrible either) Then I tossed it in front of a guitar cab and I really see a use for it there. Cool little play toy. I guess I'll look into doing a transformer swap here soon. :D I like the fact that it's a good platform for modding as I like to tinker with stuff. :eek:

We tried one out on guitar cabs at Wireworld. It wasnt bad. We liked the Shinybox better, the Royer 121 better than that, and the the Royer 122V even better. So its a few steps down there. Useable, but nothing incredible. I think they may be very good, or somewhat bad, at random.
Ribbons have a most noticable character though, dont they?

tubedude said:
We tried one out on guitar cabs at Wireworld. It wasnt bad. We liked the Shinybox better, the Royer 121 better than that, and the the Royer 122V even better. So its a few steps down there. Useable, but nothing incredible. I think they may be very good, or somewhat bad, at random.
Ribbons have a most noticable character though, dont they?
Ya know, people have gotten good and bad out of the Nady models. I am quite sure that I got a good one. It's not great mind you but on a certain amp that has always been difficult to record this mic did a very good job. I know it isn't a Royer 121 or even close but I think in conjunction with another mic maybe an AT4033, GT55, etc. as a room mic I can get very usable guitar tones. The dynamics of this mic are really cool. I will upgrade the tranny on this thing and see if I get better use out of it. A Royer 121 is on my list of stuff to buy so maybe this thing wont see much use but for $145 how can I go wrong?

Back