N00b with a question

Talidan

Hello, fine folk of the HomeRecording.com forums,

I am needing a cheap set-up for mostly vocal recording to a computer, both singing and voice-acting. I haven't had the time to do a lot of research, but I've gathered that USB mics just won't cut it.

So, what would be the best set-up I could get for under $200, including microphone and headphones, plus everything else I would need? When I asked at Head-Fi.org, most recommendations for headphones were for studio monitors. I asked the difference between studio monitors and other headphones, but never received an answer, so I'm also curious about that.

Nice headphones for listening to music and would be good for recording would be preferred.

Thanks for reading and whatever help you may offer!

Edit: Also, would these questions belong elsewhere on these forums or are they fine here?

The main difference between headphones and monitor speakers is stereo perception.

With headphones on, your right ear can't hear what comes out of the left driver, and vice versa.
This skews your perception of the stereo field and means you could be placing things far too wide without realising.

The other main difference is that headphones are often geared towards making things sound good, as apposed to making them sound natural, or flat.

I use Sennheiser HD280s for tracking and maybe for work liked editing, tuning etc, but I wouldn't mix on them.

Hope that's useful.

That is useful, thank you. I just have some HD202 II's and I enjoy how they sound with music, but I am finding myself gravitating more towards natural sounding sets. A couple days ago, I was first looking for headphones and the other recording equipment separately, but after reading more about how some of the more popular headphones stray from the natural sound to make things more bass-y, like my pair, I realized I ought to be looking for headphones that would go well for recording so I could do things right.

I see looking at the HD280s that they're considered monitors, but you wouldn't use them for mixing? What would be good around that price point that would suit everything, including mixing?

I see looking at the HD280s that they're considered monitors, but you wouldn't use them for mixing?

That really strengthens my point.
Sorry dude, I'm not gonna recommend some mixing headphones. ;)

Incase there's confusion here, by monitors, people mean speakers that are tailored for flat response.

Remember, I'm a noob. I do like learning, though, so if you were to enlighten me, I would greatly appreciate it...it would also help prevent me from making a stupid purchase.

Hey, I'm glad to help if I can, but I don't know what else I can tell you.

Mixing on headphones ruins your perception of the stereo field because there's isolation between the left and right drivers.

With speakers on a bench or on stands this isn't a problem.

For tracking (recording), use whatever headphones; It doesn't really matter because they're just for timing and pitch reference.
For mixing, look into studio monitor speakers.
That's my best advice. Others may well disagree.

Mixing on headphones ruins your perception of the stereo field because there's isolation between the left and right drivers.

With speakers on a bench or on stands this isn't a problem.

That's helped me better understand what I'm getting into. So, would my HD202 IIs be sufficient, or do you believe something better would be, well, better?

I don't think you understand man. Hd202s are headphones right?

I'm recommending against headphones for mixing.

If you're literally just doing voice work you could get away with headphones, bit if there's any music at all involved, look at proper speakers.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear and probably should've done this:

For tracking (recording), use whatever headphones; It doesn't really matter because they're just for timing and pitch reference.

And then asked if the HD202 II's would be sufficient. Again, sorry.

Oh,ok. My mistake.

I don't know the 202s first hand, but for tracking there are two main things you're looking for, in my opinion.
Comfort and isolation.

If you listen loud and isolation isn't great then you'll get recorded bleed from the headphones to the mic.
I find the isolation on the hd280s to be great, and I listen quiet.

I imagine yours would be fine, but there's something you can check out for yourself.

We used the HD202's in our computer suites at work (a college) and found them great for basic composing and editing, and the students must have liked them because we had 20 sets nicked in a year! :mad: they were quite comfy, relatively balanced sounding, and at reasonable volumes they were quite easy on the ear. Most of our computer session are 3 hours long and no one ever complained about the headphones digging in or anything. However, I tried a set for tracking a couple of times and found that the isolation wasn't great. i like having my headphones quite loud when tracking vocals and with other sets i've found little or no spill into the mic, but the tracks i did with the 202's had a lot of headphone spill into the mic.

As steen said, realistically for tracking (recording) the most important things to take into account are how comfy the headphones are and how much spill they let back into the microphone. You may find that the HD202's are fine (as i said, i did have them quite loud) but in the similar price range i found the HD205's to be pretty awesome, but it's always worth just going out and trying as many different headphones as you can to see how they fit and how they sound.

In terms of cheap setups, there are some nice little bundles that can be a good starting point. The one that i think is probably one of the better bundles is this sE X1, Focusrite Saffire 6, Reflection filter, popshield, and XLR package for £299. it's not the cheapest, but in terms of quality i think it's pretty ace. you'd still need a mic stand and monitor speakers for mixing, but it'd certainly make it very achievable to record stuff to a good quality. Another bundle that is also quite good as a starting point is the Presonus Audiobox package for £169. The Presonus Audiobox is a great little audio interface but i haven't used anything else in the package so can't comment on quality, but, as i said, it'd certainly give you the majority of the essentials (again, you'd still need to get a mic stand and some monitor speakers)

Back