N00b question about audio interface and pedals

stephanjd

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum! I'm pretty new to this, so please don't flame me if it's an idiotic question.

Anyways, I have an RP1000 pedal and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6. I was wondering if it was a futile effort, or in some ways counterproductive to connect the 2 devices together when recording. Since the RP1000 serves as a as an interface in itself, should I even bother? Or is there some benefit in sound depending on how I connect the 2 devices?

Also, slightly off-topic, did I make the right choice by buying an 18i6? I got it for $185 off of Ebay. Got it mainly because I recently bought an acoustic and so I could record singing as well.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: should this have gone in the newbie forum? I just thought that since it it pertained to something specific, I should post it here.

Last edited:
If all you are going to be recording is a guitar plugged into the pedal, then yes, youwasted your money. If you want to use microphones or record instruments without using the pedal, then you didn't.

asio specifications = ONE device driver at one time.
you cant just expect to gang unrelated interfaces together.

take the audio out of the 1000 and plug it into the audio ins of the focusrite.
That's how I record my rp355.

If all you are going to be recording is a guitar plugged into the pedal, then yes, youwasted your money. If you want to use microphones or record instruments without using the pedal, then you didn't.

Yes, I plan using microphones to record vocals, as well as certain instruments. For now, the only instrument I'll be using the microphone on will be my acoustic. i'm using my pedal exclusively for my electric. I just wanted to know if there was any point at all in connecting the 2.

take the audio out of the 1000 and plug it into the audio ins of the focusrite.
That's how I record my rp355.

Is it advisable to plug it in to the Focusrite preamps? Or just the audio ins in the back?
I guess my main question was, if I can record my electric to my pedal, should I run it straight to the computer, or would it be better connect the pedal to the Scarlett? I just don't want to degrade sound, if that makes sense

Back