N ROUTER Upgrade....is it worth it?

CoolCat

I have been having the interest in upgrading to the N Routers, for my home wireless.
as i understand it the pc's and/or laptops need the wireless cards and adaptors upgraded too to get the
full speed increase.

has anyone here done this and will it make my guitar playing faster?

Yes, you will play stupid fast noodling riffs with a bunch of hammer-on's like Hammet. And then I will hate you too. lol!

Depends on your ISP anyway, I think. Even in my city (big), it don't seem to matter. I have a broken 'N' and a 'G' that seems to do just as well. Not sure I even know what the difference is between them. I would go Googling, but I don't care enough. :)

well, i bit the bullet and upgraded.

its was $150 for the router and two USB-thingys for two pc's.

so far so good. it also came with passwords and security that was easy for a non software guy to digest.

as for speed so far things have sped up, or at least not been bogged down. but as I undertsand some articles say it doesnt help at all, unless your a Gamer or Streaming a lot.

my wireless G or older card still picksup on the new router even though its a N,,whatever tha means... so?

i might say, I dont notice any change as far as typing faster, or emails sending faster.

heres what WIki said...
IEEE 802.11n-2009 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didnt read it because I started getting nauseated ...

returned N Router

I had the Netgear 2000....N wireless all setup with new N usb antennas...because my internet access was frequently slow and often dropping out.

The Netgear N router was no change over my old Netgear G router, still slow streaming, frequent slow internet access and downloading and even surfing ....

Retuned the N router... unless you try the high end N routers, I'd save your money. The hi end are higher Hz and supposedly theres a GIGBIT hardire hook up that speeds up gaming and streaming.

The results you'll get depend on a lot of factors, like what you're doing on the pc, where you live, and how many devices are accessing the router at the same time.

Make sure that all of your devices are upgraded, as I'm pretty sure the router will 'slow down' to the speed of the slowest device.

Also, disable the old network adaptors, as that could cause a problem. It could be that you're pc's are still using the old adaptors, and thus you would not see any benefit.

And then again, it could be that the speed issue is not with your home network. Might be your ISP, might be your pc's themselves.

Just thinking out loud here.

Good luck, and I hope things improve.

So your saying?...

if I have a N router, and then 2 pcs with N USB "antennas"....but if one pc is G.....
the N router will slow everything down to the G?

This is my setup, 4 pcs , 3pcs standard with one pc Gaming, and a Wii (streaming Netflix) and often a few cell phones feeding off the Wireless router. Its 100% wireless.

Thanks for inputs

Back