Myths

iratecaller666 said:
Alright EDAN, claiming that Steve Vai or Mr. Neil Pert doesn't put soul in their music made me crack.

(It's a shame this post is on page 25 and your post that made me crack was on page 7. lol.)

Neil Pert and Steve Vai are experimental players, which is precisely the point you where trying to make, about picking up an instrument and making noise, YOUR noise. These guys have superior minds, and limbs than most folk, (sorry it's true, accept it, some people do things better) so why would they dumb down their music? THEIR music. These guys are olympian musicians and they are out of YOUR league, so why don't you go buy some CD's and LEARN something about music. Music is about soul, rythm, hidden messages, symbolism, love, hate .. everything. These virtuoso's convey that rather well.

Would you like me to back up my statement? Would you really indulge me in that? Please do. I'm thinking of about 10 songs right now.

Steve Vai made a song called Fuck Yourself, so why don't you listen to it? I think it's right up your alley.

Eddie and Steve are both over the top, so quit embarassing yourself.

You made your point, then shot yourself in the foot! .. What's wrong with you? Seriously? Can't fight for both sides dude.

Harping on Chessrock, who was just joking btw, was wrong too.

In case you're completely cluelsess, there's a light coating of sarcastic humour in many posts. It can be subtle, but don't take offence.

There was no sarcasm in this post however.

And as for this big debate on music theory .. why don't you all pick up your damn instruments and friggin play. Go play and hit the record button. I was looking for some fun myths as a diversion, and the thread turned into utter non-sense. Go play your instruments, or tweak your mix or something. There's no point in this anymore. :) Theory-shmeory, it ain't worth a penny if you're not playing.

Let me ask you this: Do you feel more accomplished when:

A - You finally learnt a couple of inversions for that G7 chord
B - You invented a new song
C - You finished a new mix

I suggest that whatever the answer, roll with it, go do it, and let this thread die.

Frig.

FACT #1 Peart is a life-less uninspired no taste drum hack, no groove, none. I got more groove in the pimples of my ass!

Fact #2 Vai: Same as above, just insert guitar for drum

Fact #3 They simply were not born with "it", they are "learned" musicians, nothing wrong with that, but it's what it is.

Fact #4 You don't have "it" or you would already know this :p

Interesting litte story. A few years ago Peart dedicated himself to learning a new way to grip his sticks, said he spent a year perfecting this and when he was in the studio recording Rush's latest cd at the time he asked the other guys what they thought of his new technique .. Geddy said, you sound the same as you have for the last twenty years .. hehe. At least the often stuffed shirt Peart had a good laugh at it.

Did you know Peart but down, of all people, the Bealtes?????????? Now come on. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, every Beatle, including Ringo, had that certian "it" factor that no amount of studying or training can give you. Ringo was a better drummer, no, not technically, but he knew what to play, when to play it and did it with SOUL!

I have the drumming CD "Buring for Buddy" and Peart's playing is just, well, I'll be nice, not good.

those are facts? They sound like opinions to me. Define "it" without using the word "it" in the definition and i'll keep reading your nonsense.

EDAN said:
FACT #1 Peart is a life-less uninspired no taste drum hack, no groove, none. I got more groove in the pimples of my ass!

Fact #2 Vai: Same as above, just insert guitar for drum

Fact #3 They simply were not born with "it", they are "learned" musicians, nothing wrong with that, but it's what it is.

Fact #4 You don't have "it" or you would already know this :p

Interesting litte story. A few years ago Peart dedicated himself to learning a new way to grip his sticks, said he spent a year perfecting this and when he was in the studio recording Rush's latest cd at the time he asked the other guys what they thought of his new technique .. Geddy said, you sound the same as you have for the last twenty years .. hehe. At least the often stuffed shirt Peart had a good laugh at it.

Did you know Peart but down, of all people, the Bealtes?????????? Now come on. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about, every Beatle, including Ringo, had that certian "it" factor that no amount of studying or training can give you. Ringo was a better drummer, no, not technically, but he knew what to play, when to play it and did it with SOUL!

I have the drumming CD "Buring for Buddy" and Peart's playing is just, well, I'll be nice, not good.

lol ... It's official. You're an idiot Edan.

EDAN said:
"Looking busy"??? lol. Did you hear the recording quality of the song I posted? Lets hear something you and your "theory" did that even comes close .. thought so. You can't teach me jack shit when it comes to producing music, pal. That's the reality of it.
I didn't hear it, but really want to. The soundclick page in your link has completely disappeared.
Can you post it again? Or some other songs you've done?

that's a great quote. "You can't teach me jack shit when it comes to producing music, pal." I thought everyone could learn something from somebody.

What we need is a place, or rather, an internet site, where like minded people interested in either receiving or giving advice about recording, producing or mastering music can come and trade ideas. Does anyone have a link to a website, maybe even a forum for people interested in home recording. Like a bulletin board system or something. You know, a home recording bulletin board system web site??

You know where people can educate themselves on topics they don't know about. Any ideas, ANYONE?? EDAN??

brendandwyer said:
that's a great quote. "You can't teach me jack shit when it comes to producing music, pal." I thought everyone could learn something from somebody.

What we need is a place, or rather, an internet site, where like minded people interested in either receiving or giving advice about recording, producing or mastering music can come and trade ideas. Does anyone have a link to a website, maybe even a forum for people interested in home recording. Like a bulletin board system or something. You know, a home recording bulletin board system web site??

You know where people can educate themselves on topics they don't know about. Any ideas, ANYONE?? EDAN??
Try this.
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/index.php

oh farview, i love you. I guess i used too much sarcasm. i was poking fun at edan for comming to an educational website like homerecording.com.bbs and assuming he has nothing to learn because he's a recording god. I have to learn that if you use too much sarcasm it comes off as genuine :)

brendandwyer said:
oh farview, i love you. I guess i used too much sarcasm. i was poking fun at edan for comming to an educational website like homerecording.com.bbs and assuming he has nothing to learn because he's a recording god. I have to learn that if you use too much sarcasm it comes off as genuine :)
I was with you the whole time! :D

I got it. Studio central is a much nicer place. Somehow, they seem to keep the riff-raff out.

I like this place because there are a lot more people here.

Farview said:
I got it. Studio central is a much nicer place. Somehow, they seem to keep the riff-raff out.

I like this place because there are a lot more people here.

Plus I'm not ever there, right?

Back