My wife is the talent, I just...

skids

...play bass (probably not great), record and mix (probably even worse). :( :)

Anyhow, this song is from the album we did last fall mostly for friends and family. Give me the good and bad. I wish I would have found this place before we recorded this. I would love to learn some things based on your critiques to maybe remix this and for future recordings.

Thanks for taking the time.

"perfectly clear"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2933&alid=-1

Quick note (as I'm busy): sounds good....but where's the bass?

Could you try to get the guitars warmer? Less highs, more mids?

Did someone say Tori Amos? :D

Not too bad sounds like a cross between Kate Bush and Alanis -- but a number of issues with the mix...

Pedullist's right - where's the beef? (bass)

And on the other side - the mix sounds overly bright, like you boosted the highs. This is also bringing out the sibiliance in the vocals to an uncomfortable level.

The other thing - it's quite obvious you ran the mix thru a compressor - you've got some obvious pumping in a number places.

I'm getting more of a Tori Amos vibe. I love Tori, btw.

The mix just sounds really thin...it's been pointed out, so I'll shut up now.

Also, while this might change when you throw some low end back into the mix, her vocal (right now) actually seems too upfront on places. I almost never say that, but I think it is.

I could be wrong...it just kinda' sounds like you beat the hell out of this with EQ. Get back to a little more natural sound if you can....oh, and hang on to the singer, lol.

wow, this song is really good, catchy, but in a good way!!

as mentioned above, it's lacking some serious lows, I can barely hear the bass and kick.

This really sounds good, nice dynamic on the vocals, too, but it kinda jumps out at some spots and I am hoping to hear more stereo image on the background vocal, right now it's tucked right under the lead vocal. Try have your wife sing it twice or four times and then pan them to taste.

Good job!

Al

OK so I typed this long response and I got kicked off before I submitted :( but I will try to do it again.

Ped - About the bass. Exactly! I went over to a freinds house after we gave him the CD (all proud and everthing) and listened to it on his stereo and I was like where is the bass?! That's pretty bad from the bassist.
Guitars warmer. I agree again! Thanks for listening. Right on with the Tori thing. She is my wife's farorite and a favorite of mine! ;) ;)

Blue Bear - You are right on about the bass and the EQ. I had no idea what I was doing with EQ or compressors for that matter when I recorded this. I hope after reading countless posts I can do better! :) oh yeah what is sibilance exactly? Thanks.

Chris - Yes I beat the hell out of it. :D I had no idea what I was doing! I thought the same thing about being thin after listening to so many songs here on the BBS that sounded so much better.
Again with Tori. Right on :D Thanks so much for listening. I was hoping you would comment. oh yeah...I will keep her! :D

A1A2 - Thanks for the song compliment. Regarding the vocals she gets pretty dynamic. Bass - right on. I agree also on the backgrounds. We'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I typed fast enough!!! :) :(

"I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band..."

Sorry, that's a Tori Amos song... :)

This is a great song with some terrific playing and singing!

Looks like the mix problems were already covered by others. Oh man, this song could sound so very very sweet. Keep posting your progress...the music deserves a good mix with attention to detail.

What are you mixing with?

Lots of potential there skids. Take the guys' advice and let's hear it again after a few tweaks. I think it can be great.

rpe

Yow, your wife is channeling. Esp the one moment in each Tori song where she "overvoxifies" something for artistic impact. Yours is at 2:32.

Great writing, im sure these cats will send you down the path of righteous mixing. Congratsa.

SluiCe - Thank you for the song compliments, especially coming from you after hearing so much of your stuff. I will work on this mix when I can since I have heard some good specific advice. Thank you for listening. Another Tori vote. :)

edit - I am using ProTools

rpe - I will take these folks advice. Thanks for checking it out and the comments.

Khompewtur - Another Tori reference. I am starting to see a trend here. :) Thanks for the compliments and for listening. I think I saw you had a song up there. I will hit it when I can.

I may not catch any more responses until later this weekend or Monday as I am headed out of town. Thanks for the responses so far!!!

Todd

Your wife has a great voice. These guys are right, the mix needs to be redun totally. Too much vocals not enough bass. Other than that, good job.

djc - Thanks for the comments. I hope I can salvage some of the mix, but yes it needs some major work as others have indicated.

Bass up for sure. Vocals I will see after the bass comes up. Maybe I can do a little more volume automation on her as she is very dynamic. I think the main this is I need to completely redo the EQ on many of the tracks.

Thanks again for taking the time and the nice compliments on her voice.

Back