My very amateur work.

gema

I just recorded a song for my own band and honestly, I think it sounds pretty ugly. Not pretty, very ugly.

Here's the set up. I'm using a Alesis 8USB mixer.

Guitar : Direct input through AX300G guitar multi processor.
Bass : Direct to mono input.
Vocals : Direct XLR to mixer ; SM58.
Drums : Fruity Loops with FPC samples.

I really need the some advice. Thanks!

Yeah, I'll agree with you.

The first thing I'll suggest is to get rid of the DI guitars. Mic an amp, it'll sound much better. But then again, most all DI guitars sound like shit to me so...

Watch the clipping. Youre either recording way too hot, or maybe its just the guitars sound. Cymbals are also very loud, and almost has that bad mp3 sound to em. Also, everything (except for vocals, for the most part) seems to be lacking higher frequencies... a very muffled/muddy sound overall. I use the FPC samples as well, and they never come out sounding so muffled... What kind of tweaking do you do to them, and what kind of file do you export them to out of FL?

I think if you re-track the guitars, micing an amp, things will start to get better from there. Then compare your mix to a similar commercial mix, (using the same speakers you mix on) and try to get yours as close to that as possible... it'll be a good learning "experience" for you, and you'll come out with a better sound as well.

With that being said, you may also want to post this in the mp3 mixing clinic area... you'll get more of a response there.

I think it sounds like you were recording way too hot.

Do some sound tests before you record. Have someone play the guitar, sing, or whatever, and watch the volume meter on your computer. Make sure it doesn't go into the red zone.

I would try to keep it averaging about -15 to -18db on the scale. But the important thing is not letting it go into the red (that's clipping).

I would also agree to mic the guitars. Just get some SM57s, it will sound a lot better than DI.

Also, I opened the MP3 in a wave editor and it is in fact clipping. That's why it sounds like shit.

Bring the levels down when recording, and you'll notice a really big improvement.

Back