my theoretical rig! (please help explain)

666kennedy

this is from the thing from tweakheadz.

its rig 3, but with some stuff taken out, and i wana know how it fits together and what each thing does.

i have a pretty powerful computer so computing aint really a problem,

but there is this
zzounds.com/item--BEHXENYX1204 - it wont let me do urls

and then this as the soundcard
zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

basically i have instruments to put into it, but it says if you dont use the soundcard u can use it as a audio interface, what do they mean by that?

surely the behringer mixer will control the levels of the sounds going in, what is the actual point in the mixer beyond there?

also what software is recommended?

cheers for your help

I think you are getting a bit confused.

Firstly, the mixer you selected has no USB connection. This basically means Behringer, in their infinite wisdom, will package a low quality USB audio "converter" as its called. This will be very low quality, as some of the comments on that site will back up.

If I were you, I would forget the M-Audio card as well. You dont need it.

I would buy a USB mixer in your case. For example, alesis multimix 8. This has the USB connection built in, so there is no need for a second sound card. The inputs will go into your pc. Through the software, and then back out of the USB mixer.

The other option is an audio interface, which doesnt have fader, but will probably be higher quality.

What are you trying to record?

Free software: Audacity.
Better Software: Logic, Cubase Essential 4/5, Protools (if you buy the correct audio interface), lots of options here. Depends what you used before.

ill be trying to record,

bass
electric drums
guitar
probs keyboard
and vocals

well thank you for your help, and yes i am very very confused!!!

i wish you could draw diagrams on this so i could see better

is this correct:

intruments ------> mixer --------> computer(software)

do you do the mastering in the software?
and does the mixer control the levels of the recorded tracks or is that handled in the software?

ill be trying to record,

bass
electric drums
guitar
probs keyboard
and vocals

well thank you for your help, and yes i am very very confused!!!

i wish you could draw diagrams on this so i could see better

is this correct:

intruments ------> mixer --------> computer(software)

do you do the mastering in the software?
and does the mixer control the levels of the recorded tracks or is that handled in the software?

If you want to record them all at the same time, things will get expensive. If your happy doing it 1 at a time, then you won't be spending too much.

Your input (mic, keyboard, drums, etc) goes into an audio interface. You shouldn't be thinking of this as a 'mixer' as the actual mixing function of the USB device is not that important. The most useful thing a USB interface does is sample the input and send it to cubase digitally, where you can actually go ahead and mix the tracks you have recorded. This is probably what you mean by letting the software handle it.

I assume you don't mean 'Mastering', but mixing and exporting a song? Actual mastering is a lot more complicated than I think your looking for, and will cost more of money and time.

If you are recording guitar, you will need either an interface that can record a guitar level signal (called a High Z input, or instrument input) or a microphone to mic up the amp.

EDIT - by the way, what spec computer do you have?

computer is

amd athalon 64 2.01Ghz processor,
1.5 GB ram
huge hard drive think 160GB

i will be recording 1 at a time, i dont mind doing it that way.

so the mixer is just to set levels and to allow the analogue inputs to be used digitally by the software. i see simple A to D conversions, with all the faders and such on the mixer to set levels etc?

and ye i probably dont mean mastering i just mean putting the tracks into a song.

i could hook up a mic to the amp, which is obviously the easiest way. but what is this high Z thing, when i was recording before in the studio i remember if i was DI-ing my guitar it went through a different input. but when i recording using those BOSS multtrack recorders its just a case of plugging it right in, guessing there is a built in high Z input. anyway i digress. could you recommend me one of those? and would that come before signal gets to the audio interface?

computer is

amd athalon 64 2.01Ghz processor,
1.5 GB ram
huge hard drive think 160GB

i will be recording 1 at a time, i dont mind doing it that way.

so the mixer is just to set levels and to allow the analogue inputs to be used digitally by the software. i see simple A to D conversions, with all the faders and such on the mixer to set levels etc?

and ye i probably dont mean mastering i just mean putting the tracks into a song.

i could hook up a mic to the amp, which is obviously the easiest way. but what is this high Z thing, when i was recording before in the studio i remember if i was DI-ing my guitar it went through a different input. but when i recording using those BOSS multtrack recorders its just a case of plugging it right in, guessing there is a built in high Z input. anyway i digress. could you recommend me one of those? and would that come before signal gets to the audio interface?

Your computer spec is probably ok for now. I wouldn't say its super powerful, but for what you want its acceptable.

A High Z input is an input that will accept a guitar straight in with no amplification. A line input would require some kind of amp (effects deck maybe?) while as a High Z/Instrument input can accept the signal straight from the guitar itself.
These inputs are useful for running virtual amplifiers. For example I whack my guitar into a High Z and then simulate an amp, as opposed to record it live. Its just a different way of doing it. Both methods are comparable. Arguable the mic'ing method is more expensive, but will provide slightly better results.

A mixer, in the traditional sense, will take multiple inputs and "mix" them together into 1 or more outputs. In your case, the actual mixing function (for the most part) will be taking place on cubase. There will be no need for you to physically move faders around, unless you want to. If you physically want to mix it all on a desk, look into MIDI controllers or an actual console. Again, this will increase the price, but its personal choice. I know people who won't even think about mixing without a real console. Personally, im happy just using software - and in your case I would recommend just using cubase to mix on.

Check out USB/Firewire Audio interfaces - Lexicon, Presonus, M-Audio, Alesis, Line 6 if you a guitar player, etc

so if i put my guitar through an effects pedal then that could be played directly into the computer? and are you talking about things like the line 6 pods? the ones with loads of effects on?

anyway thank you for all your help thus far, i should have the alesis multimix8 by the start of next week, so i will be able to start recording soon!

Back