my techniques with the sonic foundry suite

deel

in case anyone is interested, :)

i have been working with the 3 programs
vegas, acid and sound forge for about a year now, and discovered an interesting use for all 3 programs in one song.
here goes.

my setup :p3 600 9 gig ultra wide scsi 256ram ark aardvark 20/20 sound card Vegas, acid, soundforge.

first:
we record a song using vegas, usually 7 tracks at once
stereo drums (human triggered dmpro)
stereo bass
stereo guitar
and vocals

sometimes i will add some keys or extra guitar later.

then usually days later i attempt to mix our
creation in vegas.
i like to add looping parts into some of our songs and this is where these 3 progs really work together well.

for instance in one song "Ermine" i realized that the song could use a nice loop to stretch it out a bit.

since we don't use any type of midi sync or click track the loop will be whatever the tempo the song is at the time of the loop.

in vegas i drop 2 markers close to where i want the loop to be, zoom in and fine tune the markers to the precise points to create a loop (you can test the looping by clicking the loop icon, the curly arrow thing)
if there are any obtrusive elements that won't loop well, i drop those out on their respective tracks. in "Ermine" it was the vocal track that had a lingering element that wouldn't loop so i used a volume envelope and cleaned it up.

after i got the entire mix to a point i was happy with i then saved the file as a wav.
then opened it in sound forge and the markers from vegas automatically show up in SF!
i select the small loop between the markers, copy and paste as a new file, then save this file as a wav.

then without hesitation i open acid and open the small loop up and extend the loop for about minute and a half.
previously i had gathered some small sounds from the original tracks a drum loop here a guitar loop there, some vocals ..whatever..
then i drag these wavs into acid and arrange them into the acid file...
once i'm happy with the extended loop i then save it as a wav file and open it in sound forge, select all copy and then re-open the first wav, in sound forge, that was mixed in vegas.
double click inbetween the markers i mentioned before and paste over the small loop with the long loop.
and voila! the song now has an extended loop part.
the only difficult part was making the loop in acid have the same tempo as the original song, it was a trial and error type thing to get it right.

heres one song i used this technique on,
check it out if you like

cheers
deel

Cool little write up Deel. I listened to the tune and was really impressed. The vocals have a Bowie-esque feel to them. Nice sounds and production.

I actually just finished a tune where I used all three products. Used Acid to compose the drum track. I then sent that track over to Vegas where I multitracked the other parts in. I couldn't keep it in Acid because there are all kinds of tempo changes (subtle) that messed up the disk based tracks, so I had to take it out. I also like Vegas better for live recording, as it seems to use less resources than Acid.

SF was used for editing and applying some effects and stuff. This tune was pretty cool for me, because I tried my best to simulate a live feel using acid (hence the tempo changes). I think it came off pretty well.

Anyway, if you want to check it out, you can listen to it here:

Half a Song

Any feedback you'd have is welcomed.

Thanks!!

Alex

KaBudokan,

thanks for the reply, i dl'd the song and listened.
very nice!
the guitar sound is awesome! clear as a freakin bell! i would have never guessed that you used acid at all for this song, it has such a natural feel to it.

i guess it goes to show you when you try alternative techniques that you can sort of fool mother nature with all of this digital gobbledegook!

i have bookmarked you acid planet page and will check back for new songs.

:)
deel

Back