My T-Racks Master sounds like crap when burned to CD...

Trash Man

Hello everyone,
Here's the scenario....G3 Mac 450 Mhz, 384 MB Ram, Sony Spressa i-link CD Burner, Sony Discribe Burning program...

1. I record on a Pro Tools Digi001. I mix down (bounce) the mix to 2 tracks (AIFF file) 16 bits and all that...

2. I open that file into T-Racks Mastering software and master it. It sounds incredibe in the monitors and I get a boner...Dynamics, EQ, everything sounds sexy!!! ( I have dithering on in T-Racks)

3. So I put the mastered file into the Sony Discribe burning software, burn the puppy to CD and walah....(Through the same speakers) The volume is lower that when listened to in T-Racks, the EQ is weird and the sound just sucks....

Does anyone have any idea of how to get the sound better on CD...

Thank you,

Trash Man

Okay...I will cover this again....*sigh*.....

What D/A converters are you using to listen to the burned CD? The Digi001? A soundblaster? A CD player?

If you are using either of the second two, but you used the Digi001 while you were making decisions about how to master the thing, well, there is your problem.

Even though you were playing the CD back through the same monitors, using a different D/A converter of course is going to make the audio sound different. Hell, you could play that CD back through two different brands of CD players to the same monitors and it would sound different on each.

In the case that you have the audio out of your internal CD Rom drive hooked up to a soundblaster type sound card, the D/A converters are on the internal CD player, NOT the D/A converters on the soundcard. There not very good converters, and will make the audio of course sound very different then a better converter will.

There is the answer.

Also, get rid of T-Racks......:) Wavelab with the Waves plug in's is a much better, although much more expensive mastering solution. Plus, they will deal with 24 bit files. TRacks only deals with 16 bit.

Good luck.

Ed

Back