My studio space and a question about a possible vocal booth (pictures)

Shanelor

Hi, it's me. The annoying guy who asks a million questions.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this section, but technically i am a newb, so, let's take a quick tour.

6962cb4e.jpg

1fac1ab7.jpg

b5a790ce.jpg

0c707150.jpg

d085c409.jpg

881d0024.jpg

64405b36.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm rather proud of my set up, its large, great acoustics, doors that open up to the perfect drum room, and here's my question. (Pictures first, question under pictures)

a3ac8426.jpg

f811749e.jpg

d92ccd81.jpg

84933a76.jpg

In the drum room, theres this strange wooden "storage" area that was built. It just seems like i could use it for something...maybe a vocal booth?

How would i go about treating that little area if i were to do that, does it need to be completely confined, im guessing with it being made of just wood, it would probably echo quite a bit, would i need to put some sort of foam around the walls to make the sound better? or should i just not bother with it and do vocals WHEREVER?

thanks!

I would use the storage area as a storage area.

You've got a good airy room there by the look of it, and I think you would get much better results on vocals by having someone record there rather than in an upright coffin.

I would also shift the recording stuff out of the corner. There's heaps of stuff on the web about where to place monitoring systems, and a corner is not a good place.

You've got a good airy room there by the look of it, and I think you would get much better results on vocals by having someone record there rather than in an upright coffin.

I would also shift the recording stuff out of the corner. There's heaps of stuff on the web about where to place monitoring systems, and a corner is not a good place.

I agree with all the above!

+2. Room has much potential. Yes, I'd move your desk to center of room facing the drum room 2' back. At very least bass trap your front wall corners and absorb your first reflection points. Don't waste your money on foam. Rockwool cheaper and better. I record vocals right in front of desk in similar sized room with great results with this setup though I use two removable-hanging rockwool panels for isolation. Hope those are not florescent lights in ceiling. Yuck! lol

Thanks for the input you guys. I'm a little curious why it would matter where I have my desk? That doesn't have anything to do with the sound, the mics do, right?

No...you're stuck in a corner...the monitors will sound like crap in a corner...always.
Move the monitors/mixing desk to the center of a wall...or at least a few feet out ot the corner.

Also...try recording the drums in the bigger room... ;) ...if you don't need to isolate them from other instruments during tracking.

+3
I would also record everything in the big room, unless it really effects the sound in a negative way

+3
I would also record everything in the big room, unless it really effects the sound in a negative way

+4
But if it doesn't sound good in the big room, it's almost guaranteed to sound worse in the smaller room.

Either way, That room needs room treatment, better monitor placement, and the rug ripped out. I would do everything in the bigger room. "Booths" sound romantic, but there's this mis-conception, probably because of the word "booth" that it can be as small as a phone booth. In studios that use booths effectively, the "booth" is usually the size of most people's entire home studio.

The room has potential though.

15ydi87.jpg

Hows this for a start? Moved the desk out of the corner a couple feet and put a table in the corner for the interface to sit on, so now the cables can reach the drums a lot easier since their closer, and i appreciate the input of moving the drums into the big room. but i've never heard drums sound so good in my life in that room, the acoustics are insane. Although i have yet to record them with proper mics yet, unmiked the sound is fabulous.

i've never heard drums sound so good in my life in that room, the acoustics are insane.

Wlell, then definitely go ahead and record and see how it turns out. The small room might have better acoustics.

I was a little too general in saying the big room would definitely sound better than the small one. Especially since I didn't realize we were int eh Newbie forum. For some reason, I thought I was in the Studio Builld forum.

Last edited:
Back