My "studio" project...

billmcdonald

studio2.jpg

I guess this would be hard to explain unless you have been in the room, but Im converting my music room (where my band used to rehearse) into a "studio". We built most of the mixing room yesterday, and the computer and a bunch of stuff is already up there. Its about 4 or 5 feet off the ground (the room has a really tall ceeling, so its ok), and we are using the space underneith me for storage. We are building the walls soon, and then Ill start buying the recording equipment. There is a bunch of pictures of us building it, and when we get it developed and I find a printer cable for my scanner, Ill post some pictures. Me and my friend are doing this together, cause we both like recording and stuff, but he doesnt have a place to record drums, and I dont have enough money to build all this and buy recording gear and buy mics, so we are both putting some money into it and we are both going to use it and junk. Its going to be really fun. Heres some of the gear we are buying...

4 SM'57's
2 Rode NT1A's
a Presonus Firepod
and probably a few other little things

A friend of mine knows someone who wants to get rid of their Vocal sound isolation room (something like this ), so they are just giving it away for FREE! Its been sitting in their basement or something. So yeah, we are gonna try to get it. The only downside is, we have to drive about 3 hours to get it, but I dont care! :p

What do you guys think about my mic selection? Is there something better for the price range or am I about right? Thanks.

You might like something other than the NT1A's.

If you're doing drums a nice pair of SD condensors would be handy for overheads.

SD's? Small Diaphragm I guess?

I need something that can be versitile, but it needs to be good as a drum overhead. The only other stuff I would do with it would be vocals and guitars.

So, whats wrong with the NT1A?

Anyone want to recomend me some similar mics in the 200 dollar price range?

Back