My song "sounds like a demo, not a recording" - HELP!

Kirby777

Hi, I'm trying to get my songs "licensed" for TV, films and advertisements. However, the initial feedback I've gotten says that my songs sound like demos, not final recordings.

Can you tell me if you hear any basic issues in my recordings that would cause this comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm at a dead end!

I have attached 2 songs, so listen to just enough to get that "aha! it's a demo, not finished recording" feeling. Thank you!!!! View attachment Don't Count Me Out.mp3View attachment I Feel Good!.mp3

Only thing I could tell you is, they are very dynamic, there doesn't seem to be very little compression (everything is distant). It just seems like everything is pushed back. They sound, but there does seem like a lack of polish.

Maybe taking the mixes to a mastering place might get them to the level they require. I can only think it is the polish feel of the songs for media.

Thanks David, I found your reply very helpful and revealing. I'll get to work this weekend and try compressing them more to make them less dynamic, and more "in your face."

There's way way too much reverb, and it sounds cheap. Professional recordings are done in very expensive rooms or their using the most expensive up to date room modelers. When you cant access that kind of setup your better off using effects very sparsly, to avoid sounding like a 1980s demo.

I actually like the songs, but they just roll along. Alot of songs today have abrupt changes and more intricacies. I'm not advocating one over the other, just giving an observation.

Yea, I think I may send you down the wrong path, I didn't mean to advocate more compression, I think the reverb might be a good point, but some songs sound really good with reverb, but I think PDP's response is probably better.

But, more polished is still correct, but the songs do need but be worked. Maybe that is what they mean by demos, it has the basic idea of a song, but they are not full.

Hopefully more folks will come along and give better feedback. Just didn't want you to go and compress the hell out of your songs and make them worse.

Don't count me out- There is way to much reverb on the drums. The amount of reverb need to come down and high end needs to be cut. The bass had a little too much high end when solo'd IMO. Another problem is the compression or lack of it on your insturments. There isn't a constant level throughout the song, at some points the vocal covers everything else and other times it's buried. Compression and automation will help fix this. The vocal reverb/delay also needs some work. It's not bad, but it's lacking the polish of most commerical songs have and that's what's making it sound like a demo.

I feel good - The same vocal problem and compression problem as above. Also the guitar on the right has too much reverb on it.

I think your songs themselves are good and the mixes aren't terrible, but there are some things in the mixes that stick out and make them sound a bit off. The 1st song seemed like a 60's style tune, but it had 80s reverb on it. I'd use some reference tracks while mixing and try to match your tracks to them. Even though you'll never get them exactly the same, having something in the ballpark should give you a pro sounding mix.

I listened to Don't Count Me Out. I like the song and the performance.

Agree on the drums. too much reverb. Sounds like a MIDI template.

The mix is dominated by the guitars. There are moments where the vocal comes through clear. But for most of the song, the guitars dominate.

Too much reverb in general too - not just the drums.

Wow, HUGE, cavernous digital-sounding reverb on the drums. That, and their striking sibilance take away all their power. Pretty much the whole thing needs to dry out; power pop is a much more "in-your-face" dry, upfront genre from a mix perspective. The guitars are a little grungy and for my taste, too big in the mix. The bass lacks any fundamental power; I can hear the notes, but I can't feel them. The vocals are much drier than the rest of the instruments; but are probably much closer to where you want the rest of the sound to be. chandlerhimself's evaluation is pretty on the mark. I hope that helps!

Back