my second post in the clinic

chrisharris said:
OUTSTANDING!!!

I didn't like your vocal approach at the beginning...you sounded like you were trying to sing rough instead of letting it just happen, so up to the first chorus, it's not as great as your obviously capable of doing.

That's it...my only nit-pick...lol.

Actually... i liked that approach... I half expeced him to come in with a Megadeath style -- guitars screamin etc (kinda like Sweating Bullets) then he hits me with a wall of acoustic instrumentation that left me -- "like coooool!!"

- Tanlith -

Adding to the praise....

Sounds really good. Great song & performance!

Only nit pick I can come up with is sometimes your voice seems kind of "forced".

I liked the little EQ trick with the vinyl noise at the end. Cool idea.:)

chrisharris said:
Well then FUCK YOU!!!

(See, in my world, that passes for humor...a total joke, though...much like my music) :D

ROFL

I like it... I have the same sense of humor... so... what continent in this world do YOU live on???

- Tanlith -

Once again, very nice work Alex. I missed this one in the songwriting forum...maybe before my time?

I have to say I'm not terribly fond of the vocal sound in the first verse especially and a few other places where it gets very glutteral. That's my only complaint. The vocals in the choruses just plain rock. My preference would be to see you clean up the vocals in the verses a little.

Killer song...and extremely well mixed & played. Very nicely done

Dude, it's obvious that you are at a place where I'll never be with regards to recording. I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.

OK ... so one last one. This board has changed a lot of my opinions about what you need for a good recording. You noted that you went outboard for your vox processing. Why? It seems to me that there are plenty of respectable plug-ins available for SONAR. Once you entered the digital realm, why bother going back analog? Habit? It's just another opportunity to introduce noise/hiss.

Additionally, you compressed AFTER you "vox processed". I've heard differing opinions on this subject. Although never as elegently as "... to keep the overall effect of the harmonies sonically cohesive ... ". Wow, either that's right on target or a "baffle 'em with BS" statement. LOL .... just F*ING with you. Actually, it's that comment that made a light go on in my head about compression. It makes absolute sense.

Again, thanks for taking all that time to respond. I've printed it for reference.

BPOCO

This is awesome my friend! Great recording and a great performance! You guys are very talented.. Congrats on this great music!

hey alexspetty,

Without the benifit/detriment of the rest of the feedback you've recieved, I've little to help you with.

Nice vox. I almost thought the mix around them was too high but, no.

All I hear is stuff I aspire to so's I can't give a lick of crit........

I guess I'll toss my vocal chords on the Futility Fire I've been burning in my studio as of late...........thanks:) ;)

You know what's what....

Hope to have the talent to help you some day........

Thanks for the great listen.

Theron.

Back