My recordings from a 388.

Chip Whitley

Hi all, I posted a while back about using the 388 together with a teac 80-8, and some people encouraged me at the time to share my final results here.

Well, I ended up not using the 80-8, and went all 388, all analog until the final mixed. I dumped the audio from the stereo outs onto a radar system as just a stereo file, so mixing was done all on the fly. I'm not the most brilliant producer, or mixing engineer, but I just tried to capture what I wanted to hear.

It's in mp3 format(sorry) on our website available for free download and/or streaming. We're getting pretty good reviews too, some Zep refrences popping up.

ANYWAY, if you guys wanna check it out you can go to

www(dot)slowseasonmusic(dot) com/audio
(You'll have to put the dots in there, I guess you can't post URL's without a certain post total)

and let me know what you think, I appreciate any feedback.

I listened to the first 3 songs (or at least a good bit of each).

I think it sounds great, and the performances are really good. My only complaint would be the lack of originality. It really, really sounds Zeppelin-esque to me --- too much for my tastes---especially "Heavy."

But that's just my opinion. I think the recordings sound nice, and, again, the performances are really good!

Yeah I can totally understand that. I do appreciate your feedback. That's kind of the angle we were coming in at I guess, we were going for a vintage/zeppelinish sound. We weren't too concerned with reinventing the wheel, but rather giving it a good spin. Just trying to make some tunes that we'd want to listen to, ya know? But it aint for everybody. Thanks again for the feedback Beagle!

I like the playing and the mix for me is pretty good except I cant stand the way you had to squash every thing and take all the dynamics out to make it real loud. Il give you a thumbs up on going analog but I cant listen to very much cause of the final processing you used. But Im old and am used to listening to Lead Zep from the days when they didnt do that.

Dude.!!!!
I love these songs.Yes very Zeppelin-esque.But I love Zep.And these songs sound better than most of the crap thats getting released
these days.
Also love the fact it was done on a 388,because thats what Im using.
Any secrets on getting that nice drum sound????
Good work!

I really liked everything I heard, and I don't think you overdone Zep. That is what the Country needs, a revival of sounds from the past...yaknow, back when good music was being published.;):guitar::guitar:

Dude.!!!!
I love these songs.Yes very Zeppelin-esque.But I love Zep.And these songs sound better than most of the crap thats getting released
these days.
Also love the fact it was done on a 388,because thats what Im using.
Any secrets on getting that nice drum sound????
Good work!

Thanks man I appreciate the kind words. As far as the drums went, I just take a very old school approach. They're all tuned pretty high with no dampening at all. Just drums and drum heads. I usually start with one mic, either out front a ways or above, and I see how that sounds. If I want to hear a little more of something I play it louder, or if need be I'll throw another mic up, but I never put them to the heads. I like a lot of room in the mix, and tuning the drums the way I do, it all balances it self real well so you can use only one or two mics. Plus you gotta hit'em right. One of my favorite things to do is throw two mics up, each one above the kit about 5 or 6 feet, and have those positioned 6-8 feet in front or behind the kit, depending on what you want to hear. Then pan each mic hard left and right and you get a good stereo drum sound. But the main principle I employee is no one listens to drums with their ear right next to a drum head or right under a cymbal, so why would I wanna mic it that way? You hear the whole enviroment with your ears so I try and let the mics hear the same thing. But that's just my preferred technique.

By the way, what was your signal chain for the tracks if you don't mind? Nice tones!

Thanks

You mean signal chain as in the recording process or guitar signal chain? For recording it was all SM57's and AKG Perception220's for the most part, through a shitty Behringer 4 channel mixer(for phantom power) straight into the 388. A MXL 990 is in there somewhere too. For reverb/echo stuff we used a Tapco440 and a Roland Space Echo.

Back