my Pod went through the wash

charger

I swear this is true.

My 1-1/2 year old son is really into staring into the washing machine when it's running. So last night, I go into the garage/studio/laundry room, and there is the washing machine sitting there, full of water, just soaking... you know how you have to close the lid for the washing machine to do the spin cycle. So this must have been sitting there like that for 4 or 5 hours at least, since my wife probably ran the wash in the afternoon. So I close the lid and let the machine finish its cycle. At the end, I open it up to get out the laundry and switch it to the dryer, only to discover that my young son (who loves to throw clothes into the washer) at some point tossed my Line 6 Pod in there! (BTW in case you're wondering, I don't keep it plugged in, I only plug it in when I'm using it, and he plays with it a lot becausehe loves all theknobs)

So not only had the Pod gone through a complete wash cycle, but it had soaked at one point for 4 or 5 hours.

I figured it was a sign, since I just put a bunch of stuff up on eBay so I could buy the new Pod XT... Anyway, today, just for laughs, and taking care to make sure I was insulated, I plugged my Pod in... and lo and behold, it worked!!! At least, it appeared to work. But no patch memories were showing up and it seemed to be stuck in Manual mode. So I dug out the manual and reset the Pod... and all the factory presets came back. All the knobs work, all the buttons work, all the inputs and outputs work.

Seriously, my Pod has survived a lot of things, a lot of nasty falls and bangs, extremes in temperature, the odd beer splash, but this takes the cake.

The clean sounds haven't changed, although I was convinced for about 5 minutes that everything sounded somehow different...

It does really have that freshly-washed smell now though.

Hahaha, that's hilarious. I am suprised, although i have seen electronics come back from being soaked, as long as they were allowed to completely dry before powering them back in.

When I was in college my roomate came home drunk and pissed on my old Boss ME-5 multi-effects pedal. I let it dry (and de-stinkify) for like 2 days...powered it up and it worked...although I didn't like using it after that :)

Slackmaster 2000

eyeslikefire said:
That is freaking incredible!

BTW,... Welcome back Fang.... Been away a while eh bud?

Eyeslikefire,

Thanks. Been busy with work and household projects. Lots of things other than the PC. Nice to have been missed though. See you soon.

Fangar

I have a cat that loves to throw up regularly on my 60 something Fender Bassman.

I clean it with Pledge.

My Bassman is turning into a big shinny lemony thingamajig!!

How do you trane cat not to throw up, or piss on your gear? Anyone, anyone?

I love cats, but they hate equiptment.

GT

Speaking of cats

A friend of mine had a Trident (I think that's how it was spelled) mixing board (in it's time a very good board - somewhere in the $6,000 range) which he left in the basement of his "partner" when they shut down thier project studio.

One day we went to pick up the board (he wanted to bring it to my studio and fire it up). I was perfectly happy with my Mackie, but I agreed to try out his board.

When we got close to it, it smelled of cat piss, and there was some telltale "dried piss" on the face of the board. When we started to carry it and tipped it on it's side to get it up the basement stairs what appeared to be at least 1/2 gallon of cat piss came draining out. It was obvious his "partners" cats had been pissing on this thing for days or maybe weeks.

We took the entire board apart (each channel was a seperate "module") and we cleaned and scrubbed for days. We were able to get the thing working, but we could never get the smell out.

He gave me the board hoping I could sell it for him (I was more involved "in the business" then he was). Given the history, there was little interest!!! I did sell it to a guy who ran a sound company - he planned to use it at outdoor festival gigs, hoping the smell would be acceptable. The sad this is - I sold it for $100 (which I gave to my friend who what mad that I didn't get more - and in turn I told him he should not have left the stanky thing with me in the first place).

Yeah, electric gear can survive some serious trama - but sometimes it better to let it die.

Hard2Hear,

We tried tomato juice, along with every other commercial chemical and home remedy known to mankind. The smell just would not go away. This was not the result of a cat taking one leak - this was several cats useing the board as a litter box over an extended time.

Given the amount of time we all spend sitting in front of the mixing board (often in fairly small rooms) it simply was not something anyone wanted to deal with.

We even considered cannabalizing the board for parts, but the smell was on everything. Selling it for $100 was simply an option to taking it to the dump.

I lost track of the guy who bought it - so I don't really know what use he actually got out of it.

There was probably another cat that slept on the board at one time, and this cat was marking it's territory....

Shit... that sucks.

Chargers story about his POD in the washer was amazing and hilarious. BTW charger, are you sure it was your Son and not your wife who threw it there so she could sleep at night? ;)

It wasn't my wife. She's far too cash-conscious. When I showed her the Pod XT website, she rolled her eyes and said, "what's wrong with the one you have?" Then, later that night, my son apparently tried to help me out with that argument... but the figgin thing is bulletproof!

I used Tide Free, it's a liquid. It's left my Pod with a really fresh scent.

glad someones pod is made well

I just wanted to say that im glad someones Pod is holding up. Mine has been sent back twice now and I never even take it out of the house. It fell once from a shelf about 3 ft in the air and managed to do some nasty damage to a few connections. It was "fixed" on warranty, they sent it back to me and it still was shorting out pretty badly. I had to send it back a second time, it eventually came back fixed correctly. It was a pretty annoying ordeal. I still like using my pod but I can't imagine using it on stage where way worse things happen, or putting it through the wash for that matter. It may withstand liquid but something tells me it wouldn't last 5 minutes in the dryer.

Re: glad someones pod is made well

Wireneck said:
I just wanted to say that im glad someones Pod is holding up. Mine has been sent back twice now and I never even take it out of the house. It fell once from a shelf about 3 ft in the air and managed to do some nasty damage to a few connections. It was "fixed" on warranty, they sent it back to me and it still was shorting out pretty badly. I had to send it back a second time, it eventually came back fixed correctly. It was a pretty annoying ordeal. I still like using my pod but I can't imagine using it on stage where way worse things happen, or putting it through the wash for that matter. It may withstand liquid but something tells me it wouldn't last 5 minutes in the dryer.

Same problem with mine. It took a nasty spill with a cable attached and one of the outputs is shorting. It's a little dirty so maybe I'll give it a wash and see if that helps.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend that you drop your Pod. Maybe mine is just bulletproof... One time, on stage, an Ampeg V4 head fell on it, from the height of a 4x12 cabinet. If you've ever lifted an Ampeg V4, you know that is a monster head. Nothing broke, and for that matter, the Ampeg was seemingly well-cushioned by the Pod, nothing broke in the head either. Remember, you're still supposed to be careful with it! I would assume that mine is the exception and not the rule.

Pod

Yeah i think the reason its so easy to screw up the inputs on these things is because there is no Nut on the outside of the casing attacthed to the input or whatever. Everytime you plug in a cord its putting force against the solder. Well thats just my guess. I bet they would be alot better off if they just made the threads a little longer on the inputs and stuck a nut on there. Maybe they dealt with this on the Pod XT? Not sure

Back