My pickups are "picking up" the trem spings

Ostia Man

HI!
My pickups are "picking up" the trem spings, why is this?
the pickup is the Dimarzio evolution (bridge).
is it damage? is this normal? can it be fix?
I need help please.
Thanx

Springs vibrating in the electromagnetic field aren't too different than strings vibrating in the same field. You could try to limit how much the springs "ring out" by maybe putting foam between the springs and the bottom of the cavity that houses them. I would say your pickup is ok though. What happens when you hold the springs with one hand and play one or two open strings with the other (plugged in of course)?

Nate is right....my question to you is: are your springs lose? does your trem seem lose or easy? If your springs don't have enough tension on them, then they might move around a little which might be herd through the pickups....

My favorite was always to use makeup applicator wedges to put between my trem springs. They're dense, durable, and perfectly shaped to put between those springs at the "skinny" end. You can get a big bag of them for just a few dollars at any drug store.

Nate74 said:
Springs vibrating in the electromagnetic field aren't too different than strings vibrating in the same field.

yeah, it's only one letter off.

Back in the day when I had guitars with floyd roses and humbuckers I put a couple pieces of foam in the trem cavity. One under the springs, one behind the block, and one under the strings just past the nut. I wanted a tight sound and didn't like all the ringing I got when doing dead stop power chords. I think I read about dimebag putting foam in the trem cavity. With all three pieces, it worked pretty damn good.

thanx, I'll try with the foam.

the springs on my guitar are very thigth. only 3 prings on a 7-string guitar(10-56)

Ostia Man said:
thanx, I'll try with the foam.

the springs on my guitar are very thigth. only 3 prings on a 7-string guitar(10-56)

That would mean their not only tight but also pretty stretched out. When the coils are stretched out, and thus not contacting each other at all, they'd most certainly be more prone to ring I would think.

I bet some foam in there will fix it no problem. Let us know how t goes.

When your trem is at rest, are the spring coils all stacked? Meaning, are the springs completely or nearly at rest? I've found that if the springs are completely at rest, as you pull up on the trem arm the coils can rub against each other and if there's even a little bit of rubbing between the coils, they'll make a bit of noise. The coils should be smooth, clean and without any roughness between them.

Some of the others already asked if the trem was loose or sloppy feeling. Could mean that you need some new springs or a set up.

How many springs are you using and what gauge strings are on your guitar? A picture of the spring pocket would be nice. Are we talking about a full floater or a blocked trem?

I used the foam this past weekend and it really work.
I even lower the threshold on my noise gate, much more sustain!!!
Thanx to all for the recomendations.
And yes the springs seems to be strech out. I'm using
.10 .13 .17 .26 .36 .46 .54 strings and the guitar (ibanez rg 7string) only uses 3 springs.
Maybe i'll go get new springs just to be sure.
Thanx again to all.

Ostia Man said:
I used the foam this past weekend and it really work.
I even lower the threshold on my noise gate, much more sustain!!!
Thanx to all for the recomendations.
And yes the springs seems to be strech out. I'm using
.10 .13 .17 .26 .36 .46 .54 strings and the guitar (ibanez rg 7string) only uses 3 springs.
Maybe i'll go get new springs just to be sure.
Thanx again to all.

My '61 Strat has its original springs, and they still work fine. Good spring metal does not stretch out in normal use.

Back