My Pearl Eliminator double pedal ....revisited.

dreib

I posted a thread about this pedal a few months ago when I was planning on getting rid of it, which I never did , not because of a lack of trying. Anyway I got it out one more time to mess with it and I FINALLY think its now playable.

What I did was increase the action?...not sure if that is the correct term, I loosened the nut that sets the beater angle, and moved it slighty back, towards my shin.
It made all the difference in the world, tonight I'll tweak it some more, as far as tension and which cam to use, so far blue feels best.

Of all the shit i did to that pedal i guess I never thought of doing that, I mean what is the standard, if any, angle you want your beaters to be at? There has got be some basic specs on pedal set-ups, no?

When I had my Tama Iron Cobras, I never really messed with the angles, but I did experiment a LOT with spring tension. I primarily played lots of death metal which obviously involved double-kick, so I had the springs set pretty tight. They weren't maxed out, but they were pretty tight. It took a ton of experimenting to find the sweet spot for me. Afterwards, they were perfectly responsive for a very wide range of tempos. I got so used to it that getting on another drummer's kit where they most likely never adjusted it, the pedals felt so floppy and loose.

As far as angle, mine were at default, which my guess would be between 35-45 degrees. I haven't played on a drumkit in almost 2 years, and I sold my Iron Cobras before then, so this is purely from memory.

For my beater angle I simply try to get as close to the head as possible yet still have enough velocity to slam it down hard, but close enough for me to use the rebound when I want to. If the vertical is the starting point at 90 degrees,mine sit around 33 degrees back from vertical,so it's either 33 or 57 degrees depending on your starting point, and thanks to my daughters pro tractor I now know this ,lol.

Yeah man, if you have a pedal with enough adjustments, making it it play well for you will always take some time, but is better than being stuck with a high dollar pedal that does not adjust! Because then you gotta cut and weld and bend and sometimes break that pedal just to make it feel right...

I have those same pedals and typically spring tension is what I use most for feel. My beaters I think are around 40 to 45 degrees. If you look around there's an intersting article on the web somewhere that shows how there is a "balance point" for your beaters and I used that method when I first got my pedals and have never changed them. This of course is going to vary widely on the type of beaters you use and their height, etc. Also being a drummer who plays alot of double stuff I found that adjusting the footboard position back as far as it would go, (the adjustment at the base of the footboard) helped as it give a bit more of that "longboard" feel and gives you a little more pedal to play on. I used the blue cam for years, switched for awhile and came back, they just seem to have the best feel. I've always heard the blue cam is the "Iron Cobra" cam. I've played on Cobra's and they are in the neighborhood feel wise.

One thing I learned early on, playing barefoot with really loose springs will get you some nice bruises on the tops of your feet ;-)

Last edited:
Back