My Patchbay Idea...

applejax

Ok well if anyone checked out my thing on the SmartPatch in the "other equipment" forum...they'll sort of know where I am coming from.

Well after learning a bunch of information about the smartpatch, i started to design my own version... but it'll be alot different looking and alot better things it can do... Plus it could be distributed in North AMerica . Since this is STUDIO BUILDING/Display... i had to put it here lol. Now...if I have a design for something... How can I send it to a company. I know I dont have alot of information on "how to design the internal stuff"...but I know how to design things for look and what they do. You know?

So, if anyone can point me in the right directions for who I can contact... if i have a suggestion, or anyone can point me in a good direction to some good info online on how to program electronics with computers?

This is probably way to advanced for me to "do on my own"...but I'd like to work on it and try and SOMEHOW get this thing made. Because it's a patchbay that DOESN'T use patch cords...it can store project settings...you can name the channels so that you know which ones are which...without paper. Anyways...Thanks for the help :)

Analog devices have some neat products:

http://www.analog.com/IST/SelectionTable/?selection_table_id=75

The AD8113 is probably the best choice, because it's designed specifically for audio, and runs off a +/- 12V split power supply, audio can be wired in directly without op-amps and amazingly enough it has enough bandwidth to switch NTSC video. Both with about 100db of seperation which isn't too bad. You'll find that most synthesizers and outboards that are not pro-grade aren't anywhere near 100db of seperation anyway.

The AD8113 PDF if you click that link is about 30 pages, and a schematic, a PCB design, and an interface to the parallel port is all included. You can even download from Analog Devices cheesy software to control the circuit from your PC If you copy their "evaluation board". I'd copy the circuit, but lay the board out better if I were you, they have some kind of silly "circle" design which won't fit into a rackmount enclosure very nicely.

The unit is also cascadable - meaning you can add more of these chips and go from a 16x16 audio switcher to something much larger. Like a 128x32 for example.

You can also controll it serially, and it's a $30 chip. but it does all the work for you.

Most of the fancy digitally controlled patch bays - use chips just like this one.

I made one for adat lightpipe using the AD8116 and it works very well.

applejax said:
Thanks SOO much Frederic. How much does that retail for? lol

The prices I gave you are list price, from the manufacturers website.

You need to find a distributor, like Mouser.com, digikey.com etc in order to find out "your" price.

What you are describing sounds a lot like a Bradshaw system. Basically a midi controlled switching system.

The guys name is Bob Bradshaw
http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/

He builds custom switching units, mostly for people who use multiple guitar amps and effects chains in a live situation. It ends up being a huge midi controlable patchbay with a huge midi foot switch board to control it.

Yeah...ive checked out them before...he does stuff to alot of "big name" guitarests etc lol So could this be used in a patchbay situation?

All it is is a midi controled patchbay. You plug all your amps, effects, etc.. into this and set up 'scenes' that you control with a midi board. It isn't going to be cheap. I had a Bradshaw guitar system a long time ago. I use normal patchbays for the studio.

PICs are also an option as microcontrollers for situations like this. :) Check out JimKim.de. This guy made one for guitar (I'm going to build one as soon as I get moved) that could possibly help you. He has the code for free download on his website as well. He uses a PIC16F84, I think. There are others. Also, check out www.ucapps.de. That's a great site with lots of info. There's also a forum there. Not nearly as many people there as there are here, but you may be able to find quite a bit of help. Very interesting stuff! Guys there are building some nice software controllers that are clones of Mackie HUI's and the like, ALPS motorized faders and all! Yet another project I plan to pursue. *Brandon adds it to his ever-growing list* hehe Good luck!

Brandon

Also, I forgot to mention that the one on JimKim.de is fairly inexpensive. Brandshaws? RIDICULOUSLY expensive (but I'd buy one if I had the money... heh). I think I priced everything at Mouser for the MIDI switcher for about $50 or $60. I can't remember if that included an enclosure or not, though. A nice, aluminum Hammond enclosure could be had from Mouser for about $15-$20, though. Maybe cheaper, depending on what size you need. :) Again, good luck!

Brandon

hey Brandon, I checked out the PICs even before I posted this...but I dont know anything about microcontrolers... know of any good sites where I can learn the basics??

So how could I get a NORMAL patch bay... WITHOUT all the 1/4" plugs on the front...and just have them as buttons? because I HATE the cables that are just hanging there out of a patchbay... it seems so messy lol... :D Thanks guys

applejax said:
So how could I get a NORMAL patch bay... WITHOUT all the 1/4" plugs on the front...and just have them as buttons? because I HATE the cables that are just hanging there out of a patchbay... it seems so messy lol... :D Thanks guys
A patchbay without all the plugs in front would not be a 'normal' patchbay. You are just going to have to build this yourself. It will take a ton of time, effort and money. Meanwhile, until you are done, you won't be able to patch anything, and you might not have time to record anything.

Good points, farview.

If you don't know anything about uC's, it would probably be best if you just deal with the cables, UNLESS you are wanting to do more than just patchbays, or if you just flat out want to do it. If you're willing to invest the time in programming the uC's, designing the circuits, they money, etc., then by all means, go for it! I am a DIY'er as well and I'm working on similar things. As far as sites for beginning, check out my post on DIY Stompboxes here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=35357

Hope this helps!

Brandon

Here's another idea. Get a normal patchbay and hook it up so that all of your normal patches are already normaled. That way, you won't have to patch anything unless it deviates from your normal setup.

Well i dont have to worry about patching anything YET...i dont even have any rackgear LOL. It was all just an idea I was throwing up in the air. But is the Smartpatch what I'm talkign about then? That way i DONT have to go out and build it lol.

Back