My Own Worst Fears

ksounds

Here's a new one. Wrote it last night and recorded it today. Done in garageband. Comments welcome.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805880&content=music

Angel sitting by my side
See her smile when I die
Swim her oceans near and wide
Be the color in her eyes

Angel fly me over head
Be the flower in her bed
Sing a song and eat the bread
Angel tells me what he said

Angel thinks of everything
Angel lets me wear her wings
She's the lonely one that falls
Into the open nest we crawl

Lost in earth's cruel gravity
Etched in life's antiquity
Let me stay forever here
With Angel and my own worst fears

Last edited:
Not a bad tune....could stand to clean up your guitar technique a bit and take the vocal effects way down. jmho!

I agree with Jay it's mostly a problem when not singing (string noise). I'd drop the vocal volume a tad too in the very beginning then gradually let it back to where it is once you get started.

The overall tone is fabulous - what the heck are you using for a mic and pre?????

Reminds me heavily of late 70's radio music and I miss that. (I don't listen to today's rap crap much).

The keyboard exit is rather interesting.....

Very nice!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Not a bad tune....could stand to clean up your guitar technique a bit and take the vocal effects way down. jmho!

I agree with Jay it's mostly a problem when not singing (string noise). I'd drop the vocal volume a tad too in the very beginning then gradually let it back to where it is once you get started.

The overall tone is fabulous - what the heck are you using for a mic and pre?????

Reminds me heavily of late 70's radio music and I miss that. (I don't listen to today's rap crap much).

The keyboard exit is rather interesting.....

Very nice!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks guys. As far as the guitar string squeaks, I have a problem with that. I use fast fret to try and help, but obviously I need to try a different approach. Any suggestions would be welcome. I played the rhythm really loose intentionally. Was looking for a vibe here. The song definitely has some warts, but I try to embrace them for the sake of sanity.

As far as what I recorded the song with, I use an M-Audio Solo interface, Rode NT3 to mic the guitars, and an AT2035 for the vocals. I apply effects in garageband. The synth is a garageband patch I tweaked. I have a small korg nanokey for synth textures. Works well. I was looking to replace the solo, but it sounds pretty decent. I'm happy with it. I think I would have to make a substantial upgrade to see real improvements. I think the same is the case for the microphones. Thanks for listening guys.

Last edited:
Fast Fret just makes the problem worse and gums up the neck. Maybe look for a flat wound string. Again.....good tune, just a couple of warts as you say:cool::D

I didnt mind the guitar sounds to be honest, kinda works on this...I liked the harmonising, Id maybe have a bit reverb (or more) on them but thats nit picking...I thought it was all fine

good job on a well written song :)

Me likey :)!

I agree with ido about the vocal level at the beginning. When the vocals first come in, the combination of voice and lower strings is a bit boomy and I think the voice could be a little lower level-wise...later on it sounds fine and just full, but at first...at bit too much.

Y'know I read the lyrics and despite knowing your sound pretty well, I feared something sappy or over-the-top, but not the case at all. The combination of your voice and your melodies always has this understated, natural quality to it that is pretty much always good to my ears. This is no exception. Solid. Love the harmonies and the keyboard sounds towards the end.

The guitar sounds cool. There is a lot of sliding string noise (sounds like brand spanking new strings?) which doesn't bother me so much, but it does stand out. Other than lighter pressure on the strings as you slide, altered mic position can minimize this sound, but at what expense?

Thanks for the feedback Heat! I appreciate it. No, not new strings, just have dry finger tips :)

So I took your guys suggestions and brought the vocal level down a tad at the beginning. I also added a bit more reverb on the bg vocals. Finally, I faded in the song. Bot sure how I feel about the fade in, but sometimes that kind of thing works. Thanks for listening guys.

Back