My original bluegrass instrumental professionally mixed and mastered

banjo71

Several years ago I called some guys to record a tune I made up called Mainline Runner.. everybody recorded at their own place and sent files over the internet. I worked on a mix for about a year, and I may have even put a link to the song here once. But I scrapped the idea of mixing on my own, because Gary Gordon from Inside Out Studios in Sparta IL offered to help me as a jump start to selling the tune. I stream it on SoundCloud for free, and here's the link:
Mainline Runner by Doug Knecht | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Andy Hatfield - guitars and bass
Ron Stewart - fiddle
Mark Stoffel - mandolin
Doug Knecht (me) - banjo

I'm really happy with the results. Just wanted to share it with everyone.

Doug

That's a nice tune and a pretty good mix. I do love Bluegrass music. To me the guitar seems a bit buried in the mix at solo time. The rest I can hear quite well. Either that or my ears have even lost all those frequencies too. Playing in loud bands and listening through headphones when recording may have helped get rid of that bothersome hearing.

When the fiddle first comes in the right, it's a tad loud -- and it masks (overwhelms) the rest of the band -- which kind of disappears behind it. That is the only nit I have with the mix. The rest is solid.

Nice job -- and thoroughly enjoyed the tune!

Great tune and playing!

great song and fantastic picking! I agree with K-dub that the fiddle is just a tad loud in its solo. Also, the acoustic guitar is a little flabby sounding. It could benefit from cutting some low end frequencies...maybe with a high pass filter.
great job!

Several years ago I called some guys to record a tune I made up called Mainline Runner.. everybody recorded at their own place and sent files over the internet. I worked on a mix for about a year, and I may have even put a link to the song here once. But I scrapped the idea of mixing on my own, because Gary Gordon from Inside Out Studios in Sparta IL offered to help me as a jump start to selling the tune. I stream it on SoundCloud for free, and here's the link:
Mainline Runner by Doug Knecht | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Andy Hatfield - guitars and bass
Ron Stewart - fiddle
Mark Stoffel - mandolin
Doug Knecht (me) - banjo

I'm really happy with the results. Just wanted to share it with everyone.

Doug

Tell Andy I hail from the Hatfields in West Virginia, on my Fathers side. I think the mix sounds great and the only thing missing is the gallon jug of white lighting sitting in the middle of the circle! Great Job.

Back