My Next Paycheck

Scrubucket7

Alright...heres my predicament. I have a Shure KSM109, and was planning on getting another, but Ill be short about $30-40 from my next paycheck. Anyways, i was thinking about just buying a pair of MXL condensors for overheads and using the KSM109 on acoustic. I wasnt extremely pleased with the sound of the KSM109 for overheads before i upgraded from a behringer ub1202 to a yamaha mg16/4, and haven't gotten a chance to use for overheads yet.

So what do you think...should i try to come up with some extra money and buy another Shure KSM109 or should i just buy some MXL's and have one more mic around?

I don't get it.

You don't like the mic very much, and you're wondering if you should get another one?

I can relate. I just got kicked in the face the other day. It really hurt, but I was wondering if I should go and get kicked again or not, or if I should just punch myself in the nuts instead (?) :D

I love this board. :D You guys will never get rid of me.

The ksm109 is a decent mic but I'm with you on the overhead thing. Its a really decent mic and does a decent job but when I compared them to mxl's I didn't notice a huge difference at all. Now I do really like the 109 on acoustic and guitar cab. I've also have really good results with it on snare, as long as you can keep out some of the hihat bleed. Honestly either way you go on this you'll still probably be satisfied but for almost the same price as one ksm109 you can get 2 mxl's, and IMO the more the better.

haha...no i mean, i love it on acoustic, and its pretty good on overheads (atleast it sounded good on my shittier pre's so now it SHOULD sound better, i just havent gotten the chance to check it out yet.) Im just mainly wondering if its more worth it to have one more mic around. And ive also heard that the MXL SDC were really good, and theres not much hype for the KSM.

See, you got what i was sayin.

jonnyc said:
The ksm109 is a decent mic but I'm with you on the overhead thing. Its a really decent mic and does a decent job but when I compared them to mxl's I didn't notice a huge difference at all. Now I do really like the 109 on acoustic and guitar cab. I've also have really good results with it on snare, as long as you can keep out some of the hihat bleed. Honestly either way you go on this you'll still probably be satisfied but for almost the same price as one ksm109 you can get 2 mxl's, and IMO the more the better.

chessrock said:
I don't get it.

You don't like the mic very much, and you're wondering if you should get another one?

I can relate. I just got kicked in the face the other day. It really hurt, but I was wondering if I should go and get kicked again or not, or if I should just punch myself in the nuts instead (?) :D

I love this board. :D You guys will never get rid of me.

I'll punch ya in the nutz if ya chicken out. Do it! Do it now!

Are you talking about the 603s? I do have a pair of those, a bit hyped in the high end, but they are pretty good with out super bright cymbals. I wouldn't recommend recorderman's overhead technique with these because it brings out how bright they are wayy to much. I personally like the KEL HM-1s for about that same price ($100 each). They have a relatively flat response, while the MXLs gradually role off the bass and boost up very high. The MXLs sound thin, the KELs sound thick, both are good for their own purposes. I wouldn't recommend the KSM though, except for acoustic.

Ben

heres a new thought to ponder...

I could always buy another SP B3 and use those as overheads (would this sound any good?) Or I could buy a cheap pair of SDC, or another KSM109. Give me some ideas.

and oh yea, im looking to be able to get a pretty crisp, but not harsh sound. But i will need some ability to do a bit everything, because i wont only be recording my music.

MXL 603's, Joe Meek JM27's, and if you want darker the Oktava MK012's....

However...

I've heard people like the B1's and B3's as OH...so that's a great idea. But for LDC's on overheads I've always like the AT 40 line...the 4033's and the 4040's...

just some new options I'm throwing out there...

Jacob

I've a pair of KSM141s which I love on OH. It's too bad to hear the 109 isn't up to that standard.

If you're looking elsewhere I'm not sure I'd hang onto the 109. Maybe you're best off getting pair of something really nice rather than having 3 mediocre mics.

mshilarious said:
I've a pair of KSM141s which I love on OH. It's too bad to hear the 109 isn't up to that standard.

If you're looking elsewhere I'm not sure I'd hang onto the 109. Maybe you're best off getting pair of something really nice rather than having 3 mediocre mics.

I dont know, the mics pretty cosmeticly fucked up, and it wouldnt really be worth selling. Plus, i love it on acoustic.

jkokura said:
Joe Meek JM27's

Are these really any good? They seem very well respected for the price. I mean, they really dont seem any different from all the other dime a dozen SDC's (nady, cad, aphex, superlux...the list goes on and on.) And they are extremely tempting for the price...(with all that extra money i could buy a couple things ive been needing.) But am i going to just want to replace them in a month or two anyways?

Check into MXL604's. Theyre basically 603s with a new feature to switch up the pad to cardoid/omni. Someone posted some clips here awhile back with it on acoustic guitar and as overheads, theyre pretty nice. Run about 100 each.

Scrubucket7 said:
Are these really any good? They seem very well respected for the price. I mean, they really dont seem any different from all the other dime a dozen SDC's (nady, cad, aphex, superlux...the list goes on and on.) And they are extremely tempting for the price...(with all that extra money i could buy a couple things ive been needing.) But am i going to just want to replace them in a month or two anyways?

Get a used pair and try em...I'll sell you mine if you're interested. I like them, but I've got lots of mics in this range and I wouldn't feel terrible parting with them. If you get them used, more often than not, you can turn around and sell them again without losing anything in the deal.

Jacob

Back