My newest trance production.

Dexium

Hey everyone. Looking for some technical feedback on this track I've just finished.

I produce trance in Cubase SX. This track features some big fat synth lines made possible by Linplug's great VSTi, the Albino. And some nifty beat work using Linplug's RM IV. I'm shooting for the "big party anthem" type of sound.

For those of you who know trance - yeah, this track is heavily inspired by DJ Wag's earlier stuff. :-)

here tis:
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/maczero

C'mon fellas!!! Techno and related genres are sorely underrepresented here - AND they're doing a lot of the coolest home studio stuff. Give the brother a listen!

Daf (posting from the library, can't listen yet...)

Hey nice job. It's not my particular cup of tea, but thought it was interesting, just the same. Two things come to mind...

It seems a bit scant (for my tastes). I found myself imagining other parts that would fit into it nicely.

the first thing that hit me was that the synths coming in at 0:19 are too pronounced. I wondered what they would sound like dropped (perhaps as they are ~1:25) and sitting on another synth line droning on and on.

Just a couple thoughts, but I don't know anything about this style, so don't mind me!

3des said:
I'd love to have a listen, but the site said you're maxed out on bandwidth...

3des: I pre-empted this eventuality, that's why I put a mirror download link below it - Did you happen to see that?

Daf, Thanks for the support, you're so right about dance music being under-represented here. It's a bit of a dissapointment for me becuase I havn't been able to find a really popular forum for discussing my music on. Ahh well :)

SubA, thanks for the comments - appreciated. I think you're right about the synth being too pronounced. I think it's got something to do with my monitor's response (damn that) becuase when I've heard this track on other speakers, it's always come out a bit too resonant, or something like that.

As for the sparse-ness, very true - in this song it's actually a part of the stylistic aesthetic (so to speak) I was going for.

Cheers!

Don't really know what to say

It's interesting. Not something I would listen too, but it definitely has its place and I feel it is well done. This is the kind of piece that the creator has to be the main judge. It has to have the sound you were going for--its your vision.

Couldn't listen from home last night - PC problems - so I listened here at work on the $12 speakers...

I liked pretty much everything. Nice retro synth sounds - what are you using?

Enough of a shifting pallette to keep it interesting, nice breakdown in the middle. The snare rolls didn't work for me, but I know those obviously-fake rolls are the style now...

Listening too low to offer anything constructive about mix or sound (and these speakers suck anyhow). Congrats on a well-developed piece. Please consider tossing something like this in the mix the next time we do a compilation CD.:cool:

Daf

Dexium said:
3des: I pre-empted this eventuality, that's why I put a mirror download link below it - Did you happen to see that?

I don't recollect seeing the additional link.. I suspect it's not actually viewable when you get the error page, however, when I tried today there was no block (and yes, the backup link was there too, perhaps only viewable when not blocked??)

And the song:

I liked the synth, fat the way I like it (what are you using for tools, synths, plugins?)

The transition sound (clap/snare) at the 2:51-3:01 mark seemed a little off tempo.. not sure, and the mix/sounds seemed a bit thin before the 4:07 big re-intro, but the drama and sound after that was nice, again, fat the way I like it!

Cool, and thanks for putting that out there.

I am far from qualified here but I can see this driving the little X crazed biotches craaazy at the clubs!

Some killer sounds in there, nice synth.

hey guys, thanks for all the feedback :)

I'm looking to get this played at a local rave party here in my hometown - hope it goes down well eh? :)

I think I'm going to change that cheezy kung fu sample I use just before "dropping the beat".

I like to think of it as a passing hurricane.. you have the big approach: in this case my snare rolls. The eye of the storm: My little kung fu movie sample. and the "other side of the storm": dropping the beat in and getting everyone on the dancefloor moving. :) It's a tried and true formula that can be artfully mastered..

The "lo-fi"ness of the sample seems to sit awkwardly in the mix, so it's back sample hunting for me :)

Sae, thanks so much for putting the track up at a decent place! I'm going to have to look into nowhere radio or something like that. And I'm chuffed you liked it so much :)

3Des, I realised after posting my msg that you probably didn't even get to see the links page because of the bandwidth overload.. whoops, sorry mate!

You're right about the off tempo-ness. I was looking at the sample and there's a fair amount of pre-peak space at the start... might have to whack it in wavelab and give it a bit of a circumcision ;)

I use:

Cubase SX as a seqencer & host.

For the fat synth leads: Linplug Albino (Built my own patches from scratch of course) with TC reverb+ and cubase's double delay.

For the drums: Linplug RM-VI (this drum machine is everying i ever asked the programmer gods up in software heaven for :) )
+ a whole bunch of samples ive collected, made, found of sample CD's.

For the bass I use cubase's good old vb-1.. yup - that simple little generic bass synth is one of the best damn trance synths since the robland tb-303.. :)

The bright sounding vibraphone type sound is a nord lead 2.

jake: ROFL :) Right on..

daf, subtractor (ekeke kewl synth), cyanJaguar - cheers for the comments.

peace!

Last edited:
I haven't been to any rave for the past 3-4 yrs, guess I'm getting a littlt old, but still miss it sometimes.

yea, get rid of that kung-fu sample, it was a letdown for a second. Nice tight bass, really dig that. Perfect tone to pump at people's chests. One thing I would like to hear is longer delay on the one of the lead melody lines, right now it's got a fast slapback delay, not spacy enough yet (for my taste at least)

Good job and hope you get it played at rave parties.

Al

Back