I just started putting my home studio together.. so far I have:

Pentium IV 1.8mhz comp with 700 meg ram, sb live platinum soundcard

Cakewalk Sonar

echo gina input system 2 ins 8 outs

maudio pre-amp

nady 1050 vaccum tube condenser mic

guitars, basses, drum machine, misc mics

---------------------------------------------------------------------

those are the main components... do I really need an outboard mixer? compressor? gate? etc?

I'd like to have it sounding pretty high end
thanks!

I suggest holding off on compressors & gates, etc. until you can hear them better...

Looks like you have a really nice start. IMHO, the next thing you might consider are some decent monitors. I use the Event PS6's and I like them a lot, but this decision is one I think you need to make based on research, i.e. going into stores and test driving different speakers. Doing a search on this BBS for keywords like Event, Yamaha, M-Audio, Tannoy, JBL, Yorkville, etc. will bring up some threads that might help you.

You can get powered (active) monitors with built in amplification or you can get un-powered (passive) monitors, where, in addition to the speakers, you will need a separate amp.

Brad

Yup! Brad's on it. Monitors are your next step- though I might insert one step in there beforehand:

Learn to use what you have.

You can sink a lot of money into recording equiptment and have a lot of nice stuff around that you can't squeeze any kind of good sound out of. That can be very frustrating when you just laid out tons of cash for it. :( It takes time to learn, so give it that time if you can.

Monitors are better than regular speakers for recording and mixing because they don't enhance the sound- they play it like it is so you can make good decisions. If you don't know what to listen for, though, they just sound like crappy speakers. :eek:

Use what you have until you know what you need next and you'll save a LOT of money, and believe it or not, time.

Have fun!
Chris

I'll agree with Brad and Chris. We mixed some well-recorded tracks (in the analog studio, yes...) but mixed them down horribly (as you know if you've listened to our stuff, Jim) because our monitor situation was garbage (read these forums and you'll learn that I wasn't just giving a copout! *LOL*). Score yourself a pair of Tannoys.... You could probably get a pair with an amp cheap off of ebay... or the Yamaha NS10s They're kinda' pricey (I don't like the thought of spending $200 for speakers without getting 4 satellites, a center, and a subwoofer heheh...), but well well WELL worth it.

As far as the other stuff (You've got your compressor hehe), use plugins... Hmmm... Try messing with Cubase VST/32 or Cubase SX (if you wanna' try 'em, lemme know hehe)... I think they're better than Sonar, personally... But i haven't played with either of 'em too much...

Back