My new review of APS Klasik active monitors - 35Hz - 25KHz

Thanks for the thoughts man. It's about dang time someone made something useable under $2K. I'd love to hear a pair in person.

...just to be clear, you ARE saying you thought these were better than comparable Adam and Genelec speakers?

Thanks for the thoughts man. It's about dang time someone made something useable under $2K. I'd love to hear a pair in person.

...just to be clear, you ARE saying you thought these were better than comparable Adam and Genelec speakers?

You're welcome. And yes, especially with that much frequency range.

I absolutely think, in that price range, they are better than ADAM, Genelec, Focal, Yamaha, Dynaudio, KRK, K&H (Neumann), Eve, Mackie...

I was sorely disappointed with the junk that Focal and K&H made at that level. For two companies that are known far and wide for their pro stuff, their consumer garbage certainly did not follow suit. I know very little about the actual manufacturing and production of a monitor so I shouldn't go too far with this, but I'm very very happy that there might be a sub $2K set that's finally usable.

I was sorely disappointed with the junk that Focal and K&H made at that level.

There's a lot of junk out there now. K&H was bought by Neumann, and now they're putting out active monitors. Using the Neumann badge, and building with cheap labor and materials and QC. Same with Focal entering the lower-end market. And margins are high at dealers with Focal, so they tend to like to sell them. Dynaudio is still making good stuff, but they have fewer pro lines now, and they're really focusing on automotive sound systems.

A lot of the better products in the pro audio market are made by smaller boutique companies. You won't see them in Guitar Center, and usually not even on Amazon. So, you've got to get your ear a little closer inside the industry to know about these companies.

YUUUUCCCCK. Didn't know K&H was Neumans little b---- now. :( Oooh that hurts. That's like when Gibson bought Baldwin pianos. Then we started seeing Gibson Les Pauls with Baldwin written on the pickguard for crying out loud.

Man. K&H had a GOOD product. I hope their high end doesn't change. When I heard the CMS monitors, I had the same reaction. They were undeserving of the Focal name. The 5.1 and 7.2 systems I'd heard in film studios were just gorgeous. Their 3 was very dimensional and crystal clean.

I'll save my rant on Neumann for another thread lol

YUUUUCCCCK. Didn't know K&H was Neumans little b---- now. :(
I'll save my rant on Neumann for another thread lol

Neumann did not buy K+H; K+H was bought by Sennheiser, who had bought Neumann some time ago (10 years?). Sennheiser just applied the Neumann name, which they owned, to K+H product. Most of the K+H engineers were retained.
The Sennheiser name is to be used for the K+H PA speakers, I understand.

I don't know if that changes my opinion of Neuman. I know very little about sennheiser as a company, and therefore couldn't contribute any sort of informed comment. But good to know either way. Thank you for clarifying Russell.

K&H was bought by Neumann, and now they're putting out active monitors. Using the Neumann badge, and building with cheap labor and materials and QC.

I was interested in your review until I read the above. Firstly it is factually wrong: K&H was not bought by Neumann. Secondly, I cannot find any evidence of poor quality, either in construction or performance, with Neumann monitors. In fact, it is the opposite: they meet with seemingly universal acclaim.

So now I am not as convinced as I was about the objectivity of your review.

I was interested in your review until I read the above. Firstly it is factually wrong: K&H was not bought by Neumann. Secondly, I cannot find any evidence of poor quality, either in construction or performance, with Neumann monitors. In fact, it is the opposite: they meet with seemingly universal acclaim.

So now I am not as convinced as I was about the objectivity of your review.

K&H is actually owned by Sennheiser, who owns Neumann. How and why do you think that there are suddenly Neumann monitors with "KH" models?

The quality of Neumann products has never been what they were pre-Sennheiser.

Live Sound: Klein + Hummel To Be Integrated Into Sennheiser & Neumann - Pro Sound Web

Real Neumann microphones are not even made by Neumann. They're made by Microtech-Gefell.

Microtech Gefell GmbH

You are dancing around. There is no need to do that. I accept that APS monitors are good. You don't have to overstate the case by making exaggerated claims about other brands.

K&H is actually owned by Sennheiser, who owns Neumann. How and why do you think that there are suddenly Neumann monitors with "KH" models?
That has already been pointed out. That's not what saying "K&H was bought by Neumann" means.

From your link: "Sennheiser electronic GmbH & Co. KG will integrate its subsidiary K + H Vertriebs- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH, manufacturer of studio monitors and installed sound products, into the Sennheiser and Neumann companies."

The quality of Neumann products has never been what they were pre-Sennheiser.
And this assertion is supported how?

Real Neumann microphones are not even made by Neumann. They're made by Microtech-Gefell.
I'm not sure what the relevance of this. Maybe to illustrate somehow that 'real' Neumann microphones are not real? Microtech Gefell was founded by Georg Neumann in 1928. I believe that Microtech Gefell is the only company to still make the original M7 capsule.

Support your case by focussing on the superiority of the product, not by artificially trashing the opposition.

My entire review focuses on the superiority of the Klasiks in their price range. I also have good things to say about Dynaudio. For various reasons, I also don't have good things to say about other monitors in that price range. Namely, because I've used nearly all of them over the years.

You tried to put the brakes on this thread by poking semantics at the word "bought." You also added nothing more.

Sennheiser purchased K&H in 2006, and continued with the K&H brand until 2010, when it was announced that K&H would be rebranded under Neumann. Whether we're going to call that "bought" or rebadged" is irrelevant.

Obviously, Sennheiser didn't have success with the K&H brand.

K&H has been passed around like Chrysler. Usually not a good sign.

Back