My new, new design for the attic

Green House

hey guys,

I posted this over at John's site...so disregard if you have already seen it.

1. Speakers are soffited. Computer is in a "closet" between the speakers.

2. Corners and side walls will be slot resonators

3. The ceiling is only 7' but I will be raising the middle of it where the dotted rectangle is in the drawing. It will be a sloped area filled with hangers

4. The iso is for amps or scratch vox

5. The back of the room will have a bunch of hangers in the alcove and will be absorptive.

I welcome any input on this design.

Thanks, Richard

Attachments

• attic studio 4.gif
    attic studio 4.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 316
what about something like this? i understand some of the angles may need some tweaking etc, but i t was just a quick sketch. this way, yuou can have communication between you and the booth ......

let's see if i can figure out how to attach this image now....

Attachments

• attic.gif
    attic.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 285
Wow...that is almost exactly what John suggested on his site...thanks for going to the effort.

My iso booth is not really intended to cut vocals in. I have it for three reasons:

1. To keep the room symmetrical
2. To put a loud amp in if necessary
3. To put a singer in to do a scratch vocal while laying band tracks

The door will have a window in it so sight will not be a problem.

I was hoping to keep my mix position as far forward as possible to maximize my usable floor space.

Does any of that change anyone's opinion?

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. Attached is an updated version of my design

Attachments

• attic studio 5.gif
    attic studio 5.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 266
Hello Richard, no doubt if you've been to Johns, you recieved good advice. However I have a few offerings for you. It is very easy to draw well intentioned ideas without realizing the reality of space. Like walls, which IF you plan on building a two leaf iso system, require a REAL wall, not a line on a drawing, and space they occupy in reality, alter the percieved limits of whats REALLY going to happen when you build. Take a look a these drawings. I traced your "lines" and put them into real quantities of floor and corner space. Look at the difference a few REAL inchs will do to your monitor vectors. I'm no expert on placement issues, but most professionals agree that a 30 degree orientation from the monitor centerline works well, and that being said, they also agree the stereo monitor junction center lines should be about 18" behind your head at the engineering position. Look at the difference a few inchs of wall space makes especially in a situation like is shown here. The corner of the existing walls, what ever they are, makes for a very difficult speaker location. Idealy, if you are planning on soffet mounting, the speakers would actually work better right behind that corner, but that not being probable, will either have to be forward of it, or back in the area shown by a red speaker box. That foreshortens the stereo vector lines. I have drawn them as though they are mounted like barefoot suggests behind an extended baffle, which is within the iso wall boundarys, NOT through them, as any penetrations in the iso wall negates the purpose.
So, I would suggest you draw with reality in mind, TO SCALE, otherwise you are spittin in the wind. Push comes to shove at building time, and reality ALWAYS wins. Anyway, thats my advice....draw EVERYTHING as if you were depending on it to MAKE IT REAL. Cause, thats exactly the point. I'm not here to critique your plan, only offer a hint to prevent ....OH SHIT< IT WON"T FIT!! experiences later. I've seen it happen so many times I couldn't count them. People just don't take dimensional reality into consideration in planning. A line here, a line there, and it looks great on paper. But make a wall if fit in the width of a line in physical space,
and your fooling yourself. Well, thats my .02 anyway. Good luck.

fitZ

Attachments

• members projects.gif
    members projects.gif
    20 KB · Views: 245
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply and effort. I should have done a more detailed drawing before presenting it to you guys. I will work on that in the next couple of days.

I am actually not going to do any double wall construction. The room is already very quiet from outside noise. Also it is soundproof "enough" for the area I am in.

The reason that I believed that my monitors would work in that alcove is this: I am currently set up a few feet back from that alcove with the monitors at the appropriate 30 degrees. When I look from the mix position...the speakers will slide straight back into the alcove with about 6 inches to spare on each side.

I will get more accurate measurements and send a better drawing on.

Thanks,
Richard

No problem Richard, glad to help. But if your not building any new walls, what are the lines defineing the green areas? And the shape of the room, as you spoke of reflections I believe. Maybe not, but I'm curious what these are if not walls? Especially the one with a door:confused:
fitZ:)

The main problem with your angles is that it looks like the back walls are going to reflect sound directly back to the mixing area. The recomendations that everyone has given you solve that problem.

Back