My MP3 file moved to idrive.com

Mountaineer

I took Emeric's advice and moved the song " Model Man" to idrive.com. Just enter "PAPicker" in the visitor block. Hope you have better luck with this server. Thanks and have a great 4th of July !

Regards,
PAPicker

I was able to grab the mp3 off of idrive without a hitch, PAPicker.

GREAT SONG!!! Very emotional - great vocals - you've got a good voice. I'm going to have to listen to it again to comment on the mix because I was hanging on to your words. Big contrast from my song about my dad (Thunder on...).

(Second listen) --- I like the effect going on in my left ear in the beginning. What is that? What did you use? There is a percussion instrument in a couple parts of the song on the right channel (sounds like a wood block) that sounds off time. That's all I can think of negatively... everything else, to me, sounds GREAT! Great lead work as well, my friend.

I got it too!....guitars great...would like the cymbal crashes to come up more and sustain a little, they seemed chopped off...and yeah it would work to lose the off timing on the wood block...your voice is really good and worked well with the tune...nice composition and playing.....gibs

Very emotional, well written composition. The vocals were killer and the mix was extremely clean. What did you record the vocals with (mic, mic pre, comp/limiter, effects, etc.)? I too would have liked the cymbal crashes to sustain more. Great job!

I like it. Nice tune. You got a great voice, man!

First thing ... I'd kill the woodblock. I found it pretty distracting and off time. Seems like the vocal and verb is heavy in the right speaker. I'd pan it more to the center. What mic did you record the voice with?
When the short acoustic solo comes in ... I'd give it some reverb (nothing real big ... just a room sound or something) to set it apart. Nice electric guitar solo section.
The cymbals ... I'd actually turn them down unless you can replace them with longer samples. They add a lot to the song, but I think because they are cut off, they cheapen the sound a little.
Real nice song, though. I like the lyrics a lot.

All > Thanks for the reviews and kind comments. I agree the percussion is off tempo and cheezy to say the least . . . I might redo the small amount of percussion in the song maybe with better samples. Like everyone above has mentioned, it's definately the weak point of the tune.
I might work on this and repost at a later date.

Teddie > the synth effect is a patch from my Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard on my Pinnacle card. it's called "Stardust". I liked your Thunder on the Mountain tune, but my favorite of yours is still "Morning Light" ! That song makes me tap my feet from beginning to end . . . the arrangement and vocal work in that song are top notch.

Gibs > Thanks for listening . . . Yeah, maybe I'll use digital samples instead of MIDI if I redo the percussion.

Lambo > Thanks ! Odd, bkz I wrote the song in about an hour and recorded it in three hours.
Obviously, I should have put more time into the percussion, but I was in a hurry to finish by Father's day. Setup was : AT4033>Mackie1202VLZPRO >dbx 266XL. I only added non-destructive small plate reverb in the PA9 console view.

BigKahuna > Thanks for listening ! I think the woodblock would be OK if it sounded more realistic and was on tempo . . . we'll see. The vocal was recorded with an AT4033 and purposely panned a little off center . . . something different . . . don't know why I did it that way. Only in headphones is it really that noticeable. Actually, there is some reverb added to the acoustic solo,
not enough perhaps. Glad you liked the lyrics . . . I'm working on a set of lyrics now that will be different. I'm doing sort of a Cover Song . . . re-writing the old tune "Alone Again, Naturally" ,but as sung by our two dogs. My wife and I are always leaving them alone when we go on short trips. We joke about what they must think . . . how they know what is happening because we pull out the suitcases and prepare their area . . . it's funny as hell. If the song turns out funny, I'll post it with the lyrics.

Finally got this file.

Good vocals for sure. Really like the sounds your getting here, nice and clean - good acoustic sound. Really nice.

The reverb on the vocals I find is a bit too tight, could be a little longer and maybe not as bright, little more subtle. Agree with Gibs on the cymbals, I'd remove them or replace them with something that has longer sustain, and a more realistic sample. - maybe a 20" ping/ride sample at parts, with an 18" crash/ride during other parts, or in combination... i'm rambling here..

All in all - Great work!

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-05-2000).]

Emeric > Thanks for the listen . . . I've decided I will remix this tune working mainly on the percussion, but I will take your advice also and tweak the vocal reverb to see how it plays. I will also use a real woodblock instead of MIDI.

Thanks again to everyone for the advisement.

Regards,
PAPicker

Back