My mix

jakenauta

Hey

I am new around here, thought id let you all have a listen to something a did about half a year ago, which is my latest... Im still at school so i am time pressed these days...

The album has already been produced and printed and that, so i am not going to be making any changes, but tell me what you think of my first go at recording/mixing

Would be good to let some pro ears have a listen...

Jake

no, you post in the mp3 clinic then maybe we can discuss your mix.

Learn the conventions of forums, asswipe.

Stubborn

No, i have posted here...

is there any non-uptight person who will comment on these mixes without having a cry!

Jake

It sounds fine.

Next time, just post in the MP3 Clinic.

That's where we discuss mixes. It's not about being "uptight" - It's just trying to keep things organized as effectively as possible.

jakenauta said:
Anyone with anything a bit more knowledgable to say??

!!

Jake
More knowledgable than Massive Master (a professional mastering engineer????)? Probably not.

Wicked - a pro mastering engineer said it sounds fine...

take that all you pro's

im only 17 using plain old n-tracks!!!

Bahaha

Jake

jakenauta said:
Anyone with anything a bit more knowledgable to say??

!!

Jake

Jake -

My 2 cents, all in all very good with the following exceptions:

Acoustic gtr sounds a bit "husky" and a bit too compressed for my tastes. Other than that the frequency balance between the instruments is very good. Stereo width good, didn't check mono compatiblity cause I would need to import the MP3 and don't have the time right now. I would like to hear a bit more depth, for example the percussion sits up in the same space as nearly everything else, and I prefer backing vox/harmonies to sit back from the lead vocal, possibly spread a bit.

Good job!

give him a fair crack..he's new...and to his credit, that's a really nice tune.

from my (non-technical) point of view, i can hear too much of your pick 'slipping across' the strings when youre strumming than i can of the acoustic guitar itself. perhaps use either a harder pick or turn the pick into the guitar more.
melodically tho, there was enough going on to make me not listen to the words until the second listen. youre on to a winner there me thinks

i thought the keyboards were way too much upfront. you need more flange on the vocals, and the bass guitar solo at 2:04 needs to be brought down a bit.

Heh, thats a quick way to piss some of the most informative people on this forum off.

I listened to it through once, and i hae no urge to listen to it a second time. Thats all i have to say.

Ok...

Ok well... thanks guys for that...

there is no keyboard in there at all!

i didnt use a pick either

and the bass doesnt do a solo!

I agree with masteringhouse on the backing vocals (in the chorus i assume). How would i get them to sit back in the mix? Simply turn it down or what?

Thanks all

Jake

Against my better judgement, I gave it a listen. I hear some pitch problems with the vocal in a few spots. That alone did it for me. The guitar was a little boomy but not too bad. Fix the pitch problems with the vocal and I'll give it another listen and we'll take it from there.

jakenauta said:
I agree with masteringhouse on the backing vocals (in the chorus i assume). How would i get them to sit back in the mix? Simply turn it down or what?

"Depth" is achieved several ways. Thinks about how sound changes in regards to distance and simulate this in the mixing environment. One thing that sound does over distance is to decrease in intensity, so lowering the volume is one part. The other thing that sound does is lose higher frequencies, so rolling off top end makes it seem more distant. Another thing that is the amount of delay/reverb and type of delay/reverb. Just 3 components that come to mind ...

Back