My mic sounds really bad

wyr2hs

I have an AT4033/se and when sung in to at certain points it sound distorted and it doesent show that is cliping anywhere. Ive got it though a compressor and every thing. Does anyone know whats wrong? Also What happens when a mic breaks, does it just stop working or does it sound distorted?

Is it a loud thumping noise? You probably need to use a pop filter. LD condensors are very sensitive to bursts of air.

My guess is that you've got the input gain on the preamp (which should be in front of the compressor) cranked too high, so you're getting clipping at the preamp. Turn down the input gain on the preamp and see if you lose the distortion.

How about a bit more info. What kind of preamp? What's the gain stage? +4 or -10? What I'd do is go about it with a process of elimination. Get it down to mic>cable>preamp>monitoring system. If it's bad, change something. First, the mic cable. Still bad; change the cable between the pre and monitor system. Still; bad try a different preamp or mixer channel. If it's still bad, it's probably the mic.

What Track said!
I've had cables go bad where it only showed up under the heaviest of loads. I have also found it easier than crap to overdrive the channel op amps of my Mackie if you run the track slider much past unity gain.
Also keep in mind the AT4033 is a mid sized diaphram (about 5/8 dia) that is only 2 microns thick! you may be physically too close for the volume you are putting out. I have had some male vocalist put my mic into blocking with a loud yelp occasionally.

tmix

Back