My mic collection has grown but is it complete?

There is no "complete" set of microphones as you can get different color from different mics in the same model. That's why they make "matched pairs". I bought to SM57s about six months apart and although they don't sound completely different, there's enough of a difference that I only use the second one for a second mic in any recording condition. But the key is to get the mics that give you the best recordings, know them well enough to know when to use them and GO WITH IT! You've got a great list of mics going, and I am a bit envious of a few of them, but learn the mics and do some great recordings!

Although not identical, most SM57s are pretty darn close in sound.

I hate to ask but are you sure one of them isn't a counterfeit? There are a huge number of fake 57s and 58s out there, sometimes even from fairly reputable dealers who have, themselves, been duped.

Dynamics-
3-SM58
4-SM57
3-GLS57
1-SM7B

Condensors-

1-AT4047/SV
1-OKTAVA MK-319
1-AKG C214
2-MXL 990
1-MXL-2001
1-MXL991
2-NADY CM90

Im going to get on more C214 for a pair then I think Im pretty much covered. I know for some of you guys , you can never have enough mics but I think I can move on to upgrading my interface then maybe a better pre-amp.

mic collecting is a never ending ..... sorry

another c214 would be great
2-AKG D12
4-6 ATM450
more sm7's like 3 more.
2-Beta 52
shure 565
m-80
then we need some ribbons
2-Art M-five
CR-14

and we haven't touched the top shelf stuff (yet).

All my shure 57's are legit but those GLS 57's are the real deal , I really cant hear a noticeable difference between those two, at least in my room.

The SM57 and 58 are pretty essential. A Royer 121, 122 or a 122V are amazing on guitar cabs. Mojave mics are great for vocals, drum overheads and acoustic instruments. The Sennheiser MD 421 and the EV RE20 are great for bass cabs, the EV RE20 is also awesome on metal vocals.

well better get some Avantone mics too because no mic collection is complete without a red mic. And Avantone makes the sexiest red mics. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Back