My MAC is making an audible click when I click sound files....

thercman

So I have no idea what is going on. This just started yesterday and it is really annoying. It doesn't matter weather I am using iTunes, Reaper, Garage Band etc. Any time I start, stop or pause any audio file it creates a click sound. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? All the MAC options are set for CODEC. I am using an Allen & Heath ZED 14 mixer, Rokit 5 monitors. I have tried powering down the computer and unplugging it etc...

Are you using an audio interface or the Mac's built in sound card? Trouble shoot. Start with the least possible peripherals: Mac built-in output to headphones. If the problem is gone, then you're on the road to solving the mystery.

So I have no idea what is going on. This just started yesterday and it is really annoying. It doesn't matter weather I am using iTunes, Reaper, Garage Band etc. Any time I start, stop or pause any audio file it creates a click sound. Does anyone have any idea what this may be? All the MAC options are set for CODEC. I am using an Allen & Heath ZED 14 mixer, Rokit 5 monitors. I have tried powering down the computer and unplugging it etc...

You're probably hearing one of two things:

• The audio file has a DC offset, and when you start and pause playback, that causes a pop as the voltage output goes from zero to the DC offset level.
  • You're using the internal audio and the laptop is power managing the audio hardware, turning off its power supply when it isn't in use. This can cause a pop at the start of playback, but won't cause a pop for at least half a minute or so after you pause/stop playback.

Back