My little home studio…

Gunther

My little home studio… just thought I'd share and see if anyone has anything to say about it :)

Gear --
Software: Sonar 3
Sound card: M-Audio Delta1010
Reverb: Lexicon MPX110
‘Monitors’: B&W DM601 S3

Microphone Chain
Rode NT1000
M Audio DMP3

Keyboards / Modules
Korg N1 (Bottom, used as controler only)
Yamaha AN1x (Top)
Motif Rack

It’s a simple little setup but it’s amazing the quality and versatility that can be achieved with so little these days.

- Gunther

Attachments

• Studio2.jpg
    Studio2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 241
Very neat and tidy! Nice!

Maybe angle your monitors in towards you a tad!

Once again very very neat! :)

What,s that book your PC monitor is sitting on? ;)

Kev

looks good. i had my computer monitor up on a book forever until just recently i bought a new desk. i used my Modern Automotive Technology textbook. it was huge and it served me well.

cool... nice and neat setup....

3 things to make it even cooler: :)

1. put your rack in the middle on the table and the LCD monitor on top of it....
2. Hang some acoustic foams on the wall
3. Lava lamps....

Nice setup, I like the desk alot. A few suggestions:

1) Get some Auralex MoPads and put them under your monitos. When I did this the difference was noticeable. The same goes with adding acoustic treatment behind the speakers on the wall.

2) The corner behind your microphone is going to cause all sorts of recording issues. The cheap route to fix it would be to use either the Auralex product Aural-Xpanders http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AuralXpander/ or your own home grown equivalent.

Edit: The reason for my recommendations is to suggest some low cost alternatives for helping improve your overall sound. They may not sound like much, but the difference can be amazing. BTW, I do not work for Auralex. :) I am wrapping up treating my room with acoustic material and am amazed at how different everything sounds, even to my poor ears. :o

HTH,

-LFO

Lava lamps. :) That gave me a good laugh. No, what you're missing is black lights. Spray some glow-in-the-dark paint on the studio foam and turn on the black light. That's what you're missing.

So is that hardwood floor? I can't totally tell.

As of right now I'm using an old desk my sister used as a kid. It's in surprisingly good shape, but it's not wide enough.

How good of a job does the flat panel monitor do? I've got a crt right now and I'm always worried about getting noise in the lines of instruments. I want to get a wide format flat panel. Wide is goooood for music.

Nice, but for Heavens sake.... get those monitors up off that desk. Someone suggested Mopads. Good idea, but they also need to be higher, like ear level and so you are not getting so much sound reflecting off of that desk. Do that and see how much the sound changes.
You could use a stack of books :p

Ikea has some speakers stands for 20 bucks a pair, as everyone has suggested raise those nice monitors up off the desk!

How do you like the B&Ws BTW?

Kev: The monitor stand / book is a real thriller… “The complete guide to the Certified Quality Engineer exam.” It is really the perfect size.
The monitors are a little weird, the sound field becomes very narrow if I angle them in. The soundstage is very good with them straight on, and things in the center sound locked into the center, if you know what I mean.

LFO2: Mopads are a good idea, I might get some.
If I do any serious recording with the microphone I’ll extend the boom to get it out of the corner and close mic it, or I’ll just put the whole thing in the center of the room. You’re 100% right, the early reflections are terrible at the mic’s location.

SonicClang: the monitor is a 19” Samsung Syncmaster 930b I recently picked up for $325 (after $50 rebate.) It works excellent (even for DVDs and the occasional battlefield 2 session). Previous monitor was a gorgeous 21” sony CRT, but I actually prefer the flat panel by far.

Guido: I have a bunch of engineering books… maybe I found a new use for them? I’ll see how the speakers sound when elevated.

JustaBassist: I love my B&Ws. Very natural midranges… voices sound like voices, pianos sound like pianos.
Used as near fields I guess they must be at least as good as the entry level monitors out there. They are just a guide though, I make my final mixing decisions while listening in my car :)

- Gunther

Gunther said:
Guido: I have a bunch of engineering books… maybe I found a new use for them? I’ll see how the speakers sound when elevated.

- Gunther
Hell... you can use old Playboys...:)
Maybe even through like a packing blanket accross the top of the desk.....

Back