My little bedroom studio!

gordone

Well I used to have a nice big room in the basement of our (rental) townhouse, but since we moved into our new home, I was able to convince the wife to let me have the bigger of the 3 extra bedrooms (she has another for her office and the other one is the still-packed boxes room) So I finally got some pictures of the little space. I actually like it better than the basement, it's upstairs and has windows, nice carpeting and it's smaller so I had less of a flutter echo problem. I still have some Auralex up and it sounds pretty dead. The PC is in the closet so fan noise isn't too bad.
What do you think?
http://home.earthlink.net/~egordon99/studio.html

My parents got the paintings from the artist when they visited either Santa Fe (NM) or Sedona, AZ. I don't remember which. The artist wasn't really anybody big, just someone with a small gallery. My parents had a huge art collection spread out over 2 houses (one in NJ and one in Florida) but they sold the house in NJ and moved full-time to Florida so they had to get rid of alot of art. I got those as well as some nice McKnight (http://www.thomasmcknight.com/) Lithographs. My dad has a Lichtenstein which I keep bugging him about, as well as a ton of Britto (http://www.britto.com/) including some original commisioned works. He's alluded to giving us some more art work, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now if he would only give up the Baby Grand piano that they keep as "furniture" :)

c7sus said:
VERY NICE!!!!!

Those lithos are pretty sweet too. Who is it?

Reminds me of Jerry Garcia's airbrush stuff with all those vivid colors contrasting................

gordone said:
Well I used to have a nice big room in the basement of our (rental) townhouse, but since we moved into our new home, I was able to convince the wife to let me have the bigger of the 3 extra bedrooms (she has another for her office and the other one is the still-packed boxes room) So I finally got some pictures of the little space. I actually like it better than the basement, it's upstairs and has windows, nice carpeting and it's smaller so I had less of a flutter echo problem. I still have some Auralex up and it sounds pretty dead. The PC is in the closet so fan noise isn't too bad.
What do you think?
http://home.earthlink.net/~egordon99/studio.html

So how do you like the Bush computer cart?

I like it alot...
Just a tip. If you take of the "monitor stands" and switch them around they will fit angled out at a 45 degree angle. It allows for alot more space around your monitor and allows your monitors to fit squarely on those squares at just the right listening angle. And it looks cool too.

Re: Re: My little bedroom studio!

It's great! I'm sitting at it right now. It took about 1 hour or so to assemble. The only problem is moving it. I had to disassemble it when we moved into the house and I had a hard time putting it back together. I think I busted some stuff on it either during disassembly or re-assembly, but it turned out ok in the end. I don't know if it will be able to withstand another move though. Oh well, it only cost $200!

brzilian said:
So how do you like the Bush computer cart?

subtractor said:
I like it alot...
Just a tip. If you take of the "monitor stands" and switch them around they will fit angled out at a 45 degree angle. It allows for alot more space around your monitor and allows your monitors to fit squarely on those squares at just the right listening angle. And it looks cool too.

Cool tip. I just did it, and it definitely increases the size of the main shelf. But I can't help but notice one thing: if this configuration lets you put your monitors at 90, and still have them at the right mixing angle, you must be sitting on TOP of your desk. :)

Mine have to be cockeyed a little bit - but no worse than they were before. Great suggestion! Bravo!

Re: Re: Re: My little bedroom studio!

gordone said:
It's great! I'm sitting at it right now. It took about 1 hour or so to assemble. The only problem is moving it. I had to disassemble it when we moved into the house and I had a hard time putting it back together. I think I busted some stuff on it either during disassembly or re-assembly, but it turned out ok in the end. I don't know if it will be able to withstand another move though. Oh well, it only cost $200!

If something is busted, you can just call up their customer service and they'll send you replacement parts free of charge - Bush products usually have a 6 year warranty.

I don't have the exact desk, I bought the cheaper one for $100 less, the monitor stands or "printer and scanner stands" are shaped a littler different, can't remember if it was more rectangular or or rounder than the $200 one.

And it only came in one color and has silver metal sides.

My only problem was it didn't have all the parts (that's not why it was $100 less either). So, I had to go back to the store and get the rest of the parts from another pack since the desk at that point was halfway assembled. (I know I should have checked for all the parts before hand, but oh well)

I like it, and the little area just under where the computer monitors goes has enough room to fit four 19" rack units and a little more room for smaller units.

I'm gonna pick one of those up at Guitar Center tomorrow
Eye it real good. I did, and I came to the conclusion that it was garbage. There's cheap, and then there's cheap. At a 100 bucks, this piece would be overpriced, imo.

Dan

Shockwave said:
Eye it real good. I did, and I came to the conclusion that it was garbage. There's cheap, and then there's cheap. At a 100 bucks, this piece would be overpriced, imo.

Dan

Don't worry - I ended up at Ikea today and decided to buy their Jerker desk instead. :)

Shockwave said:

Dan

Yeah, I was going to get one of those initially, too...crap, crap, crap. :)

Very cool sir. You have some nice toys. I have a '55 000-18 myself. But I didn't see a lava lamp. A true studio essential.

Leeking - I close the closet door when I record, so most of the fan noise is eliminated. All the cables prevent the door from closing all the way though. I have a new Dell 4550 on order, which I heard is pretty quiet, so we shall see. In my old room (townhouse basement), the PC was in another room and I had wires going through the wall, so it was dead quiet. My wife won't let me tear up the wall in our new house, so the closet is the best I can do!

Track Rat - Aren't those old small-bodied Mahogany Martins the sh*t! I love mine :) No lava lamp yet, but someday!
Big project coming up is getting everything set up on my new PC (2.4GHZ baby!)

Back