My iMac converts mp3s poorly

DigitalSmigital

A slice of analog pie?
I have a PC that when I post mp3s at 128 kbps on Soundclick they sound OK, but when I use my mac @ 128 it sounds like butt. They sound OK on disc, but streaming from soundclick is unbearable.

What gives? Bueller? :mad:

The quality of conversion depends on the software, I don't think the different HW platforms have anything to do with it (except for dictating what SW you have available). Being a PC guy, I don't have any recommendations about Mac software, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Tonio said:
ds- what are you using on the MAC?> iTunes? or?
MOTU's DP4, Sound Studio, iTunes.

DP4 for multi-tracking and mastering

Sound Studio as converter to AIFF files

iTunes as converter to mp3

So itunes is making your mp3's sound like butt? Have you tried comparing with the same file or different ones? 128k does sound like but compared to 192, but should be good for demoing on soundclick. What do you use sound studio for? More processing?

Hmmm you're not using the extra processing stuff for converting are you(itunes).

DP 4.5 has lame conversion directly from the soundbytes mini menu. Or are you on Dp4.12.

Interesting, keep us posted.

T

The mp3s created by iTunes...

at any bitrate, 192, 160, 128 kbps sound great in iTunes, or burned to cd. Compared to the pc version they are fine. But when posted to Soundclick and re-converted by Soundclick.com at 128 kbps, which is the max they allow without paying extra, the drums sound OK (sorta), but the conversion destroys the waveform and makes the music sound like butt. :mad:

You're right though, SoundStudio is an unnecessary step in the chain. I use it to trim the fat, no processing. Could that be the prob?

Back